CHAPTER FIFTEEN (1) - PM till Dawn

Pedro lay on his back, looking at the ceiling with hands behind his head. Unable to sleep, he tossed and turned in bed with a big smile on his face.

Augusta's birthday was a hit, and she was stoked. He would give anything to see her face light up like that, over and over again.

The time he spent enduring her father's gruelling 'interview' beforehand was worth it. Pedro considered himself lucky that he was 'on probation' and 'liked but under strict observation'. After all, Augusta's dad did not reject him point blank, so they would not have to sneak around too often.

Pedro's parents had gone to Los Angeles for the weekend, and his little sister was at their cousin's house. Despite being at home by himself, he did not feel lonely. Perhaps because Augusta was not far away.

I'm whipped like it's ridiculous, he thought. It was too early to use the 'L' word, though.

He arched his back and stretched his legs, knowing that his internal peace and secretly building his future plans around her meant he was well on his way. The fiery passion in the pit of his stomach at the thought of her, and the burning desire when in close proximity to her—especially during their arguments, were even more evidence.

Life was good.

Pedro was in good shape and football was great. If Roseview could sustain their form they had a good shot at the state championship. He had a great thing going with a girl who cared about him, but had enough spunk to call him to order when he was wrong. Pedro's grades were better than ever and his pathway to Doyle University looked sure as the sunrise.

Mierda, what was that?

Pedro bolted upright. His hearing which was now on high alert could detect the rattling on his window. He noted with a heightened sense of alarm that it was not a tree or the wind.

He was home alone and calling 911 seemed unhelpful. If it were an intruder he'd be dead as a doornail before the cops arrived. Mierda.

A shadowy figure reared its head and waved at him in the window pane. Pedro's blood ran cold, and he was paralyzed with fear on his bed. He had muscular strength, but it was no match for a deranged person with a gun. The person stopped waving and started knocking. Before Pedro could snap out of his frightened state and reach for his phone, the unthinkable happened.

Was that tapping in the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star? His life had gone from easy as a Sunday morning to Friday the 13th in just ten seconds.

The window tap melody switched from the previous one to the Happy Birthday tune. That captured his attention, and he dared to take a closer look.

Is that Augusta? No, it couldn't be.

Then again, if the person wanted to harm him, the angle was perfect for a clear shot. Pedro held onto his phone in one hand, and reached for a baseball bat with the other.

The person at the window gripped the ledge and wound a finger in circles near their head before pointing at him. A clear, wordless message that he was bonkers. Odd but familiar.

Pedro moved closer inch by inch until her was close enough to see who it was.

It was Augusta.

He rushed to open his window, and she tumbled inside. She rose to her feet in a haste, and swayed on her feet. Pedro forced himself to resist the urge to laugh. Her icy glare indicated how furious she was, but she had never looked so cute or beautiful. He noted that her trademark pineapple scent was laced with a hint of grape. She had been drinking.

"Hi, babe!"

"Hi?" she questioned. "Are you trying to get me killed?"

Pedro chuckled and cleared his throat when she crossed her arms in annoyance. "You're the one who's breaking and entering. I ought to call the cops on your misbehaving ass."

"O.M.G!" Augusta whisper yelled. "Are you wearing Spongebob Squarepants board shorts?" She laughed and clutched her stomach as she pointed at him.

Pedro smirked. "This is twelve a.m and I can wear whatever the heck I want. Sometimes I sleep naked. Care to stick around, rookie?"

She rolled her eyes, and flung herself on his bed. "I'm sure my dad put you on probation and you wouldn't want to eat this hot pepper soup in a hurry," she retorted while pointing at her body. Augusta had a cheeky grin on her face after likening herself to a meal.

"Epic clap back." He nodded with approval.

"Yeah. I'm a savage." Augusta grinned and pat the space beside her as if it were her bed.

He joined her, and they lay on their sides facing each other.

"I cannot believe that you snuck out to come here," Pedro said. He fiddled with the drawstring of her pink hoodie dress.

"Neither can I. You're a baaad influence, Milian." She giggled and narrowed her eyes in the way Pedro had come to recognize as her mischievous look. "Something about you makes me feel like a dangerous woman."