CHAPTER SIXTEEN - AM/PM

Some people are willing to betray years of friendship just to get a little of the spotlight

-Lauren Conrad

The mild, Texan winter was in full swing with tinsel decorations everywhere. Christmas displays popped up on houses and at shopping malls. Eventually, school vacated for the December holidays. There was Christmas cheer for those who celebrate, and festive joy for family and friends just having fun. Some visitors who fled from the colder states arrived, on the other hand others left to spend the break elsewhere.

Augusta and Pedro both hated eggnog, but had a mutual love for toasted marshmallows.

"Why the heck do people drink that yellow muck?" Pedro asked.

Augusta sipped her hot chocolate and leaned back on Pedro's chest. They sat on the plush, leather recliner in his sitting room. "I think it's 'cause other people are doing it." She pouted and swished her mug.

"I know that look. What's up, Nkechi?"

"I was just thinking about how I'm the biggest freaking hypocrite."

"How?"

Augusta burst out laughing. "I drunk snuck into my boyfriend's room and wanted to get laid on my eighteenth birthday." She sat up and gazed at his face. "Other people did it and I thought it would be fun to do it too."

"I'm still pissed off that I didn't get to see you thump your rump when you climbed back over your fence." Tears of laughter streamed out of Pedro's eyes. "The morning after I heard the sound of a sack of pota -oof!"

His cheeky walk down memory lane was interrupted by an elbow to his side. Augusta rubbed the site and rolled her eyes playfully.

Pedro responded with a bear hug that spilled her drink. "Have you called Priya?"

"We chat everyday. She's having a blast with her family at Pune in India. How about Lucas?"

"Who the fu-"

"Pedro!"

"I dunno. I think he's still at Aspen with his folks. We don't need to keep constant tabs on each other like girls." He grinned.

They sat watching the crackling flames of the fireplace. The logs of wood glowed, red hot from within and snapped as they were consumed by the flames. Gingerbread cookie aroma drifted from the kitchen, and wrapped the room in its sweetness.

"Pedro, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

Augusta adjusted herself and took a deep breath. "I don't want to sound paranoid."

"You can tell me anything, babe." Pedro held her hand, and stroked the fingers. "I'm here for you," he reassured her.

"I know being famous on Speakerverse is like being rich in a game of kiddie poker, but don't you get worried that it's out of control?"

Pedro's brow furrowed for a moment and he ran a hand through his hair. "Well, there will always be haters who'll come online to sip their Hatorade." he shrugged. "I don't see how it's a big deal. Just ignore them or delete mean comments."