CHAPTER FIFTEEN (2) - PM till Dawn

"This is all on you, Nkechi. A little liquor brought out the cheeky girl I've known all along."

"Did you just pronounce my name properly?" Augusta gasped.

"Surprise, but don't change the subject. Your dad will be furious if he catches you." He laughed and shook his head. "Promise me that you will call to let me know you're safe when you get home."

"We share a back fence. I'll be out and in before he wakes up." Augusta whacked Pedro's bare chest and giggled as she drew her hand down his torso. He caught her hand and bit his lip. Their eyes met and a distinct tension sparked in the air between them.

"Don't play provocative games when you've been drinking, babe," he said in a husky voice.

Augusta growled as she sang in an impression of Beyoncé's voice. "I've been drinking, I've been drinking-"

"Shush! Dont you know what time it is? Where the heck did you get alcohol from anyway? You're hammered."

"Don't blame the wine. I don't want you to be the end of me. This love is takin' all of my energy," she sang in high pitched voice.

"What if you fell from the lattice beside my window?"

"Aww. You care about me. Thank you so much for today, Pedro," she said, without attempting to draw her hand away.

Pedro arched his eyebrow at her sudden sober moment. "Yesterday," he said.

"Yeah, that's right. It's after midnyght," she slurred.

Another silent moment passed between them, and Augusta reached out to ruffle his hair. He leaned into her hand and closed his eyes.

"I have a confession to make," Augusta whispered.

"What?"

"I came here um-"

"Hoping that I'd make a move on you?"

Augusta covered her face and groaned. "It seemed like a good idea at the time. You must think I'm some kind of lascivious-"

"Don't you ever be ashamed to express yourself," Pedro said. He inched closer to her and put a finger on her lips. "I'd like to," he admitted, "but I'd never take advantage of you when you're drunk."

"But I'm not drunk. I'm just kinda tap dancing!"

"Tap dancing? Do you mean tipsy?"

Augusta shrugged and burst into another fit of laughter. "I wanted to do two things on my eighteenth, but I couldn't at my party." She looked left and right and whispered, "One, having my first bottle of wine. Check. Two, doing the tango with le hombre de mi vida."

"No. I don't want your first time to be something you'll regret later, babe."

"Fine," Augusta huffed. "I guess I'll just go and do it with Tre-"

What happened in the next few seconds took place so fast that Pedro clenched his jaw to bring his indignation under control. Augusta attempted to storm out, and an animalistic force came over him. He tackled her, and pinned her on her back with her hands beside her head.

"Odiegwu. This is wonderful," Augusta murmured.

Her big, brown eyes twinkled with delight as she looked into Pedro's fierce ones. The hardened length of his body on top of her soft one tempted him to abandon his decision to wait, but that would be inexcusable. His breaths came out in short, shallow puffs.

"I'm sorry, Pedro. You're the only one for me," she said.

"I didn't invite Trevor to your party, and I'm glad he didn't gate crash. He would have been effed up," he hissed. "I don't want you to ever mention his name in a threat, joke or anything to me again. Is that clear?" Pedro growled.