CHAPTER FIVE - Augusta

Augusta sat in the audience to support Priyanka, and her heart swelled with pride. Her best friend secured the role of Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, and all the time they spent rehearsing her script together paid off. Augusta didn't mind pretending to be a lovesick dude when her friend was practicing to play a delusional babe.

"Romeo, I shall love you for eternity!" Priyanka cried with eyes brimming with tears.

"Priya is so good at this," Augusta whispered. Her friend was made for the Arts and theatre. She interpreted the role in a fresh yet classical way.

The Roseview High auditorium was packed to the full capacity, and silence fell upon the hall as the actors made passionate declarations of love.

"Did my heart love till now? Foreswear it sight, for I never saw true beauty till this night," Mason Ricci or rather, Romeo declared with both hands clutched to his chest. He gazed at Priyanka, aka Juliet, with eyes wide with wonder.

"Wow. This guy is pretty good too," Augusta murmured.

Mrs Kumar, Priyanka's mum who was sitting beside her squeezed her hand. A silent acknowledgement of Augusta supporting her daughter. Augusta looked at her and smiled. Dr Kumar on the other hand had his eyes fixed to the stage. Priyanka had always been daddy's little girl.

"When are you performing?" Mrs Kumar asked.

"Closing act. I'll go back stage after this play," Augusta whispered.

Dr Kumar interjected without looking their way. "Knock them dead with your flute, August."

"I'm going beast mode and leaving casualties, sir," Augusta replied.

All of them chuckled and continued watching the performance. Augusta knew her parents were sitting in the balcony seats. After snapping several sweet but embarrassing photos with them, holding her flute and posing at the entrance to the hall—they hugged and kissed her with promises to meet after the show.

Augusta flexed her fingers, and practiced her breathing exercises. The familiar pre performance sparks tingled in her body, and she could not wait to channel it into her music. Her phone buzzed in her pocket and jolted her out of her thoughts.

Pedro: Where are you?

This is random, Augusta thought. She responded anyway.

Augusta: With Jack...on the beanstalk. Help. Ladder needed. ASAP.

A few minutes passed and Augusta wondered if she should tone down the sarcasm. Sadly, it was more or less subconscious these days. Especially with Pedro. Maybe he had something important to say. Before she could add, a 'Why? Are you okay?' follow up, Pedro replied.

Pedro: NBD kiddo. No ladder, but I've got the baddest fireman's trampoline. Just jump.

Augusta giggled. No big deal? Seriously? And what's with the kiddo? They were both eighteen, well he was but she would be in three months. She covered her mouth apologetically when she was shushed by a person behind her.

Augusta: I'd bounce tf back into the sky and fall harder!

His response was immediate.

Pedro: ...Into my arms

"Whose the lucky guy?" Mrs Kumar whispered with a knowing look on her face.

Augusta flinched and clutched her phone to her thigh. Her heart fluttered in her chest at the question. "No one," she replied in a haste.

Her phone buzzed again, and she fought the urge to check the message. Pedro was smooth as butter. A confirmed criminal undercover, and she convinced herself not to fall for his effortless charm. His response had probably been used on thousands of other girls. Mind on the stage, she scolded herself. Augusta's phone buzzed again. And again. Unable to resist any longer, she checked her phone.