CHAPTER 21 - Fantasy

I burst through the double doors of Meadow Wood High School on the morning of the first home football game as my alter ego, the cheerleader chick. I strut like a model on the catwalk, posing in beams of sunlight decked out in my blazing red cheer uniform for all to see. Heads turn as I pass. The reaction in homeroom is even better because people who never seem to notice me suddenly turn and stare. Even Zach Ashburn, who is wearing his white home jersey with faded jeans, nods hello when I sit down. It's like we belong to an elite club and he is the president.

While our homeroom teacher takes roll, I indulge in a delicious daydream. Maybe if I apply enough pressure with my thoughts, reality will skip the tracks like a runaway mine cart and race off into uncharted territory.

There's no harm in a little fantasy.

I picture walking down the main hallway of the high school again, but this time, I am hanging off Zach's arm in my crisp cheerleading uniform and Zach in his shiny football jersey. As we stroll down the glossy checkerboard linoleum floors, people literally stop and stare mid stride. We laugh and look longingly into one another's eyes as we walk into the cafeteria. Zach opens the door for me and checks me out from behind with a satisfactory nod as I walk to our table with my cheerleading skirt swaying in time with my swinging hips. I let my hair down just like the girls in the shampoo commercials, in slow motion, and it cascades over my shoulders in glossy, chocolate waves. I lean back against Zach's chest at the lunch table and he closes his eyes to breathe in the heady, organic fragrance of orange blossoms and grapefruit from my freshly washed tresses. He whispers sweetly in my ear about our plans for the weekend.

The next thing you know, we are speeding down a dirt road at sunset with the wind whipping through the open windows of Zach's pickup truck. I run my hand through his hair, and he reaches over and gives my leg a gentle squeeze. He pulls up to his grandpa's farm and surprises me with a picnic basket in hand to sit under the stars. Gazing up at the sky, Zach reaches for my hand and I lean into his chest.

Hand in hand, we skip into the Meadow Wood High gymnasium dressed like royalty for the fall semi-formal dance. The crowd parts and Zach leads me to the center of the dance floor as the theme song pours through the gym. Zach pulls me close to his chest and sways in time to the soft music as I breathe in the scent of sandalwood and stare longingly into his carefree, blue eyes. A smile of pure, unfiltered joy curls my ruby lips as he leans for a passionate kiss.

It's just a fantasy, but a small voice inside me says if I believe, it might come true.

"See you in biology," I say to Zach as I leave the classroom, surprising myself with my newfound confidence.

As I strut into first period geometry, Jordan's jaw literally drops. I take my seat at the front of the class and give a deliberate look over my shoulder at Leo Goodwin sitting behind me. One corner of his mouth turns up into a sly grin as he taps his pen against his lips.

I'm totally enjoying this. Who knew being someone you're not could feel so right?

"I thought you didn't like football." Jordan shakes her head in dismay.

"I don't."

"Then why are you in a cheerleading uniform?"

"I'll explain it all to you later," I promise her.

Was it dishonest not telling Jordan and the others at the lunch table I am a cheerleader? It was never the right time to bring it up. Plus, I don't want to brag, or, on the other hand, make a big deal about the squad shunning me. But, Jordan has to know the truth: I'm not one of them.