CHAPTER 35 - Closer

"I don't know, Josephine. I don't think you can handle it. The language alone..."

"So, it has some bad words... who cares?" I scoffed. "Play your favorite track for me."

"Well, all right." His finger hovered above the play button.

"Just do it," I said. My curiosity peaked. What kind of music was he trying to hide from me?

"You might think a little differently about me once you hear it," he said.

"Why?"

"You'll see." Leo skipped a couple of tracks and hit the play button. Then, he settled back into the seat like he was getting ready for a movie to start. "This is going to be good."

The track opened with a pulsating beat. There was something primal about it—powerful, and intense, like a heartbeat. The song was darker and angrier than anything I had ever heard before. Gritty. Experimental. Raw. It had this sadistic edge to it that put me off, but appealed to something dark and twisted buried deep inside me. Something I didn't even know what there. From the opening lyrics, it was clear this a song about sex.

I gulped.

Leo's gleeful look of anticipation softened into a smug grin. He continued to lock eyes with me like we were in some sort of staring competition. I wasn't going to give in.

A male voice seethed over the headphones, oozing with frustration and madness on the edge of obsession. Then, I felt my cheeks flush bright pink to the sexually explicit lyrics that came next. I found it a little hard to breathe. I had so many questions.

Why is this song making me sweat?

How come I love it so much?

Why does it scare me?

Why are Leo's eyes so dark all of the sudden?

When can I look away?

The current of my pulse rushed beneath my skin as my mouth went dry and all my unanswered questions rested on the tip of my tongue, which licked at the corner of my lips.

Leo laughed at this, but he still didn't look away. In fact, he stared at me with more intensity, as if such a thing were possible. Our staring contest continued. I blinked. He blinked. I searched his eyes and found a spark of amusement. He looked so smug and satisfied, probably at my shocked expression and flushed cheeks. But there was something mysterious, a darkness coming to light. He eyes burned with something other than mischief. Lust? I had to look away. The intensity of it made me hot and dizzy.

So, this is Leo's favorite track?  Of course. It was written all over his face. As I studied my hands, under a flush of embarrassment and defeat, I felt like I was eavesdropping on the psyche of a teenage boy. Maybe Dad was right. Most boys only have one thing on their mind. Even Leo.

I glanced out the window unable to look at Leo as the song wound down to a few final off-key piano notes. I peeled the headphones off and steadied myself before looking back over at Leo.

"So what did you think," he asked.

"Uh, it was different." My skin was hot and damp, and my breath quickened.

"See, I knew you wouldn't like it," he said.

"No, I liked it." It was the truth, even though the language did throw me off my center. I passed Leo his Discman. "Here."