Chapter 3 ~ Rain

Cole

I can't believe I just witnessed that and I made Elias go over there and get her. Dylan is a real jerk. He doesn't deserve her. I can't believe he hit her, I wonder if this is the first time. And instead of going over there and sticking up for her like I have wanted to for the past year, I did nothing.

She and I went to the same highschool back in Jersey. I lived there for my highschool life with my uncle since the opportunity was given to me. As soon as I saw her, my heart fluttered. And when school ended and we graduated. I never saw her again.

Until last year when we started college and I saw her once again. She had matured, grown out of her body, she had more curves and longer hair. Beautiful blond hair. I could tell she was a natural brunette, but I loved the blond. It became my favorite color.

As well as her blueish green eyes. Also my favorite color.

When I heard she was dating Dylan, I lost it. I went back to mine and Elias' dorm and ruined everything. I had been talking about Abby to Elias for the longest time. Dylan must have heard because he went straight for her.

They have been together for a couple months now. They were the perfect couple until Dylan just stopped showing affection to her. That night when he said he loved her, I dropped to my knees, thinking that that was it. I was never going to get my chance.

The stadium cheered, but Elias was dragging me to the car to prevent me from doing anything. Now, I'm too much of a wimp to even save her from her abusive boyfriend. I just wanted to meet her when she and Dylan had broken up.

Elias told her to go home, which she did, rubbing her face. After that I got in my car and followed her, I just wanted to make sure she got there safely. She pulled up to the diner and it came back to me.

She works here, I knew that but she works the shifts where we are not here. I'm about to pull out when it starts to rain. I say whatever and head into the diner, holding my umbrella. She is cleaning the tables so I know she won't be serving me.

I got a hot chocolate so it doesn't look like I'm just sitting here watching. I watch as she finishes her shift and walks outside. But she doesn't go in her car and run from the rain.

Instead, she sits on the curb and lets the rain hit her body. I finish up my hot chocolate and throw away the cup. I tip the server and walk out. I undo my umbrella and hold it over my head. I decided to be bold and sit next to her. Covering both of us with the umbrella.

She turns to me when she notices the rain is not falling on her anymore. She looks at me, she has tears in her eyes. I immediately get sad for her. She rubs her eyes.

"Who are you?" She asks me about passing out. I had never heard her voice up close. Her words hit my face as she speaks through her plump lips.

"I'm Cole, I'm on the hockey team, I'm also Elias' best friend." She nods and then drops her face. "I'm guessing you saw what happened at lunch." I slowly nod and she scoffs putting her hoodie on and burying her face in her knees.

I sit here for a while and then I hear her crying. She looks up and looks at me with tears in her eyes. My heart breaks for her.

"Why me? Why did I have to get stuck with crappy parents and get kicked out for wanting to be myself. Why did I fall for his charm, why do I stay with him!? Why me!" She yells as she rants to herself but also me too. I drop the umbrella and wrap my arms around her.

She doesn't pull away; she lets me hold her. I break down with her silently. She would get creeped out if I started to cry. She doesn't know that I have liked her since highschool. You would have never guessed she came from a broken family. She is the light of our school.

The rain hits us as we sit here in silence, her cries filling up the silence. Her sobs slow down and I can tell that crying made her tired because she looks at me with sleepy eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell, I just have so many damn things on my chest." I smile at her compassion. "It's no worries, I needed this too." I say and she gives me a confused look. Before she can say anything the wind picks up and we both shiver. I stand up with the umbrella and hold my hand out to her.

She doesn't hesitate to take it and get up. I walk her to my car that is parked next to hers. I tell her to wait as I grab my extra hoodie from my backseat. I tell her to take off her hoodie.

"I can't take your hoodie, don't worry about me. You need it." She says and once again I smile. "I have an extra one in the front." I say and she tilts her head giving me a face that says she doesn't believe me.

She sighs in defeat and takes off her hoodie, leaving her in a black shirt. She pulls my hoodie to her body and puts it on. I can tell the warmth gets to her because she sighs again but in satisfaction.

"Thank you." She mutters and I smile. I walk her to my car to avoid her getting wet again. She gets in the passenger seat and looks at me. "Thank you again." She says.

"It's no problem, peach." I say but the nickname wasn't meant to slip out. She lets out a huge laugh, one that makes me smile wide.

"Peach?" She asks and I nod, gaining confidence, "You smell like peaches." She blushes and tuen to turn the car on.

"See you later?" I nod and she shuts her door to drive off. I stood there for a while before getting in my car. I drive back to the dorms and lay down in bed thinking of what just happened over the hour.

I'm going to get her out of that relationship. Dylan is going down. It's going to be me, who shows her that it is possible for her to be happy.