42. Their Guardian Angel.

It felt like we were going to give the exam of our life

It felt like we were going to give the exam of our life. I could feel the waves of anxiety radiating off Nick as he drove the car in silence. I could feel he was bottling his emotions inside him, I could feel that he was determined to do what he had to do.

I could feel he was worried about his daughter.

Kia was his daughter and no one deserves to take her away from him.

Before leaving for the mansion, I'd called Aiden so that he can be with Kia in case she gets up at midnight.

My leg bounced up and down as the car accelerated down the long road. In less than a minute, his hand came to my knee stopping my leg movements. I felt a bloody zoo in my stomach with his single gesture and when I looked at him, he made it look so casual. He seemed too focused on his driving.

The night was dark, I could barely make out the road in front of me. All I could see was the red neon lights of the gas stations and the cars that were driving by us. My heart was pounding against my chest. As we approached the mansion, my heart started pulsating so hard that I could hear it echoing down my spine.

God! We are here.

The car slowed down and we stopped. He opened his car door as I opened mine, the cold breeze hit us and he turned his head to me. I felt a cold shiver slide down my spine. He took my hand in his and we made our way inside the mansion.

The mansion was beautiful would be an understatement to describe its magnificence. The mansion was huge and it stood like a monument to human achievement. The walls were covered in beautiful paintings depicting different scenes, the marble floor was covered with a beautiful oriental rug and the entire room was filled with expensive furniture and priceless paintings. It was like a palace that no king or queen had ever dreamt of possessing.

I can't believe, people actually lived in places like this.

Nonetheless, I liked Nick's simple and classy penthouse more, it was a lot more comfortable and it was a lot homier. Moreover, it had the memories of Kia's mother, her first word, her first word which was still written on the wall of his room.

As we were walking through the hall, Nick stopped in his tracks and stared at me for a few minutes.

I wanted so badly to hug him and comfort him. I was so scared of what was going to happen but to my utmost surprise, he pulled me into a sudden embrace."I can't tell how grateful I'm for your presence today, Arielle." He said while we were still embracing. 

Just then my mobile rang. I pulled away from his arms and took out the phone from my pocket. Aiden?

I took a few steps back and turned so that I could hear clearly. I received the call only to hear Kia's raspy voice," Ari, where are you and Nicky uncle? Why did you leave me alone?"

"Kia who said we left you alone? Aiden is there, isn't he?", she hummed. My heart sank hearing her voice. "Listen Kia baby. Nicky uncle and I will be back home soon."