Vynn [Flashback Chapter]

It was my 5th birthday and I was having it an old pizzeria and arcade. Dad had planned all of this. My mom had left a little after I turned 4 years old, so it was just me and him.

I was passing around cupcakes to everyone at the our reserved table. Most of them were from my pre-k class. I had invited all my friends and we were running around causing chaos, our parents struggling to keep us under control. Other families and kids were also there since we didn't reserve the full arcade to ourselves. I didn't mind though. It gave me more people to play with.

"Hey! Can I have one?" a girl around my age skipped towards me. She had thick, black hair and wore a casual pink dress. I actually really liked socializing at that time, so I responded with a smile.

"Of coarse!" I picked a chocolate one out of the box, making sure I didn't touch the frosting. Handing it to her, she beamed. Her two front teeth had come out making her look a bit silly. She was pretty nonetheless.

Her parents had run over to her, telling her not to wander off. I frowned as I watched my new friend get dragged away. Dad speed-walked over, trying to get their attention.

"Hey, hey, hey, it's fine if your daughter wants to hang around us for a bit. We don't mind at all! The more friends the better," he said. Her mother looked over at her husband and shrugged

"I suppose so," she said. I raised my arms in celebration and ran over to the girl again. I stuck my hand out at her, introducing myself

"I'm Y/N! Can we be friends?" she happily accepted.

"Vynnetta!" She replied. The two of us ran into the arcade, disappearing into the crowd of other children and teens.

We had a blast. We took turns playing Pac-Man, Space Defenders, and many two player games as well. I learn't she was older than me by a couple months so she had already turned 5.

Somewhere between that, I gave her the nickname, Vynn. I had trouble pronouncing my t's so the "t" sound would come out as "th". Also, I thought it just suited her better.

She liked the outdoors and catching animals. Dogs and even car racing. Especially the Indianapolis 500. Vynn said she wanted to be a racer on that track one day.

We learnt a lot about each other, and that led to us being close friends all the way up to highschool.

The two of us ended up at the same middle school which only drew us closer. That was when we started sneaking out and causing trouble. We would set things on fire with her dad's lighter and we'd be out there til sunrise messing around and exploring. Those moments were my favorite. They made my life less stressful.

When highschool rolled around, we even got some of the same classes. We always walked the halls together and ate together at lunch. Everyone rumored that we were dating but nobody knew I was closeted. I secretly dated Ashton and that damaged our friendship because I kept hanging out with him instead. I never did come out to her, which is something I do regret.

We lost touch after I decided to live in the UK with my dad. I didn't stay there long though. Dad and I stopped talking when I stopped living with him and started college. I dropped out about halfway into the first semester because I couldn't afford the fees.

I soon moved back to my hometown because rent there was too expensive as well. I enrolled into a community college and rented the 2 story apartment I live in today. They were usually pricey but I was given a discount because I tutored the owner's son in junior year.

Vynn did pop into my mind every once in a while. I always wondered where she was now. If she was still in this town doing medicine or far out in another country pursuing her dream of being a professional racer. She wanted to prove to the world that women could do it too and that her dream wasn't some fantasy she'd give up after failing once. I always admired her for that. She looked out for me and made sure I was doing okay every day. She was like a big sister to me. Her mom was a doctor and she wanted Vynn to be as well, even though she protested greatly.

I want to see how she's doing just like she used to do for me. I think back at it and I took her for granted so much. I still knew where her old house was. I'd walk there to meet her after sneaking out.

Maybe now was the perfect time to make sure she's okay.

831 words

A/N
This is a really short chapter. It gives you more backstory of the other characters in the story and their relationship with Y/N. This is not chapter 5. Its more like half of one. Let me know how you guys like Vynn so far! She's inspired by one of my childhood friends, who I actually still keep in touch with today. If you want, please give some plot ideas or constructive criticism!

right here -------->>>>>>>>>>

Next chapter will be out very shortly!