Cadillac [Chapter V]

I was following the flow of traffic, trying to blend in with the other cars. The best way to stay hidden is to hide in plain sight. Jeff wasn't looking too good at all. He was losing blood fast and was barely even conscious at this point. I reached my left arm over to his shoulder, lightly shaking him.

"Jeff. Jeff. Can you hear me? Jeff," I gently shook him side to side. He moved a bit, and only made a quiet "mmm" noise before letting his head hang down again. Last time I checked, that wasn't a good sign. I just had to keep driving. My only hope is a childhood friend that I haven't talked to in years. Heck, I don't even know if she still lives here!

Good thing I knew this town like the back of my hand or else I would have never been able to find the house.  I lived on the northeast side of _____ City while she lived on the southwest. It was about a 10 minute drive from where I was at that moment, so I needed to move fast. 10 minutes might not seem like a lot but Jeff couldn't hang on for 10 minutes. His breathing was getting coarse and he was limp, too exhausted to even move. I don't even think he could move in this state. 

I put more pressure on the pedal and I soon surpassed the speed limit. My vision got blurry for a second, causing a pounding pain in my head. I grabbed my forehead trying to relieve some of it.

Maybe I can't hold on for much longer either.

I swerved, not being able to pay attention but soon got back on track. I merged into the exit lane, now on the normal road. If I remember correctly, it was a left turn at the arcade then straight until I saw a yellow fire hydrant. Then, I needed to take a right, then a left, and keep going until I reached the house with the big red door, Vynn's door.

I checked back on Jeff and thank god I could still see his chest rise and fall. He was breathing unevenly but he was breathing. I practically speeded through the neighborhood, my tires screeching at every turn. Then, I saw it.

Vynn's door.

The house looks just like the last time I saw it. The rusty mailbox in the front, the broken water spout, the shiny, red 1957 Cadillac, and I even caught a glimpse of her treehouse. Seeing all of this sent a massive wave of nostalgia towards me. I wish it was back to those days. Everything was so carefree and all you had to worry about was what to play next. But most of all, I missed Vynn. I hope she's doing okay, and I'm about to check right now. It was almost 11pm at night and I was pulling up someone else's driveway, unsure if the person I'm looking for is in there at all.

By now, the adrenaline had worn off, making me feel the extent of my injuries.

I parked it relatively close to the back fence entrance just in case if Vynn was there and we needed to quickly bring Jeff inside. I sprinted over to the front door, a stinging sensation shot from my side. I stumbled but kept going. I used the wall on the side of the door as support and rang the doorbell. It did two peppy rings before silencing again.

I waited, standing on their brown welcome mat. It wasn't a welcome mat, per say. It was brown and in bold letters it said "enter". I didn't know if that was a threat or a request. I swayed back and forth, getting more dizzy as each second passed. I rang it again.

I know ringing the doorbell more than once is the most annoying thing a person can do, but right now, I didn't have a choice. Jeff was dying and I needed Vynn to help me on this.

I wont take no for an answer

Nobody opened the door. I saw the top floor windows had light shining out, so SOMEONE had to be up. Still, nobody answered.

Maybe I will take no for an answer.

I rang it one last time and then tried stumbling back to my car. I suddenly saw my shadow in front of me. Light was coming from behind me.

I spun around and met eyes with a short, old asian lady. Her hair was wrapped in those pink hair curlers.

Not Vynn...

The lightheadedness got worse, I grabbed my skull in pain.

"God damn," I muttered, struggling to keep my balance.

"Young man, are you okay?" The woman asked. I weakly smiled at her before my vision got blurry. I felt like I was flying.

this isn't good

I tried to stay standing but failed, leaning to the side. I felt myself start to fall as my peripheral vision darkened. I reached my arm out to the old woman, trying to grab her hand. I failed, and fell back.

I saw her mouth moving, like she was yelling. I heard nothing but a subtle ringing in my ear. One other figure came into view.

I couldn't get a good look at them. As I felt everything going blank, I heard a muffled cry.

"Y/N!"

I recognize that voice.

891 words

A/N
Short chapter again. My mental state hasn't been the best recently and I have a lot of work to do. I'm working on more projects like commissions and I've recently been hired as an editor. I am very busy at the moment and I apologize if the next episode takes a while to show up. I'll try my best. Cya next chapter!