017

A Few Days Later

Sometimes you wonder what life would have been like if your mom didn't die.

Would dad be different?

Would you still be the same person you are today?

Questions that hold answers far beyond your reach.

A whip like snap blares, leaving an appalling feeling. In a vast, green field, ten human cupboard align ten yards away from the shooter.

Now you know why Iseul asked if you liked guns.

Judging by how he accurately shoots the bullet through the target, you'd say this isn't his first time.

He sets the gun down, ushering you over.

You shake your head.

Jungkook's family's well off so you won't question how he was able to acquire such a field for himself.

He flicks his hair away, taking off the goggles. The light from the sun causes him to squint his eyes as he connects his hands to his waist.

"You promised you'd try."

"You weren't being specific enough. How was I supposed to know you meant..this when you asked me 'you promise not to back out?'." Your hand gestures the area in a circular motion. The brunette tilts his head to the side, ends of his hair cascading over the fine line of his eyebrows.

"Just one shot then. You won't die trying."

"No." You trail off in a whisper, shrugging your shoulders nonchalantly. "But you might ."

He rolls his eyes to the side, snatching the weapon from the table. "Just shut up and get your butt over here."

You tried to warn him.

Like a duck, you waddle all the way to where he stands. He signals you take the gun in a barely caring manner.

Like you're forced to take it, a bitter expression contours your face as you take hold of it. "If you were so desperate to die today, you should've just told me."

The coldness of the weapon brings a trail of shivers down your spine. Gripping it feels like you're strangling your own throat.

Humming, Jungkook circles you and then presses his chest against your back, resting his chin on your shoulder. His hands trails upwards, fingers delicately aligning yours around the weapon.

"Remember to take in a deep breath and never loosen your grip." Due to the proximity, each time he opens his mouth, minty hot air brushes the side of your face.

"Don't put too much tension on your shoulders. You'll get hurt." He utters the moment he notices it. Subtly, you roll your shoulder back in attempt to get him off you. The brunette remains behind you, focused.

"Can you back off for a second?"

Silent and motionless. You look at him only to find that he's already looking at you. The ridiculous distance causes your breath to hitch.

Too close.

"Why? Do I make you nervous?"

"Not really. I just don't like feeling restrained when I pull the trigger."

Teasingly, he inches his face closer. The side of his lips tugs into a boyish smirk. "Oh really now? Then this should be enough, right?"

He loosens his fingers, allowing the tiniest difference of space.

This definitely won't do. Taking full control, you look away and duck, easily slipping from his hold. He kisses his teeth, staring at the emptiness of his floating arms.

"Let me see if I got it right. You hold it this way and take a deep breath before pulling the trigger, right?" You get into position and angle the opening of your fire arm.

Jungkook digs his fingers into his pocket, poking the inside of his cheek as he nods.

And that's the signal you need to pull the trigger.

A hard snap resonates the air, piercing through the atmosphere. A hole is made and a smile takes over your lips. You take in a deep breath, satisfied.

"You missed."

"Nope."

"The chest." He utters, pinching the bridge of nose. "You we're suppose to shoot the chest. Not the head."

Tossing the gun in the air and catching it again, you station the weapon back at its rightful place and retreat. "Who said I wasn't aiming the head?"

Iseul, who had been watching from a gazebo, voices her thoughts for the first time ever since we got here. "Are you sure this is your first time holding a gun?" Her high pigtails remind you of boo from monster inc.

Her brother cuts in with a question. "Did you finish your homework?"

"Yeah." She kicks a stone. "Ten minutes ago."

"I made reservations. Go pack up." He tells his sister, pressing a hand below your back.

"I'll go grab my things too." You trail behind Iseul, reaching the gazebo. As you check the time on your phone, Iseul leans over the table and whispers.

"That wasn't your first time holding a gun, right?"

"What makes say that?"

"Since there's no such thing as natural talent. Consistent practice's what brings a person to be good at what they do. Even my brother was sloppy for five years when he first started."

She's not wrong.

"I know I'm young and sometimes act dumb but I'm observant too."

"What exactly are you trying to say then, Iseul?"

She gives you a thin grin-not a smile. Rather, it's an expression that says she knows something.

"You have secrets too. And they're not the happy kinds."

Jungkook knocks on the surface of the gazebo. "You guys ready to go?"

"Yup." Iseul nods her head. "I'm starving."