eight

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed. But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud. Though this author cannot dismiss the Duke of Hastings quite so soon. He may have let the diamond slip through his fingers for now, but I shall wager he is not a man to ever hide from a fight.

Daphne and I sit in the parlor of her family's home.

"So is it true?" I ask.

"Is what true?" Daphne questions.

"Is my greatest friend truly to be a princess?" I question. "If I were your sister, would I to get to be a princess?"

"Calm yourself," Daphne tells me. I smile. "I am not yet engaged to the prince."

"Will you have to wear a crown?" I ask.

"Perhaps for special occasions, but only if I should marry the prince," Daphne tells me.

"Will you have to learn German?" I ask.

"Perhaps, but only if I should marry the prince," Daphne says.

"Will you have to move to a beautiful castle far, far away?" I question.

Daphne chuckles. "You are worse than Hyacinth."

"All joking aside I cannot help but notice you keep saying 'if' you marry the prince," I state.

"Well he has not proposed," Daphne tells me.

"Or are you not over the duke?" I ask. Daphne does not say anything. "Give it time." Daphne nods. "Unless the prince is not who you want."

"Am I a fool for not being over the duke?" Daphne asks.

I shake my head. "No. I do not think so. I think you would be a fool if you did not listen to your heart." I smile. "Are you to see the prince today?"

"Anthony is taking me to a boxing exhibition," Daphne tells me.

"Where does the prince come in?" I question.

"He will be there," Daphne assures.

"Is a boxing exhibition truly where you should be courting the prince?" I ask.

"I don't see why not," Daphne offers.

I nod my head. "I want to go to the boxing match."

Daphne laughs lightly. "Whatever for?"

"I do not know," I confess. "It is just... you are going, Daph, and I fear maybe I will miss out."

"Miss out on what?" Daphne asks.

"I do not know," I tell her.

Daphne laughs. "It is not as if you expect to find a suitor of your own at a boxing match."

"No," I concede. "But I still might have an enjoyable time."

I walk into the boxing exhibition with my arm linked in Val's. It is very loud and a little dirty. I can hear people gambling all around. I smile from ear to ear.

"It is quite dirty and loud," I tell him.

"Not what you expected?" Val asks.

"Exactly as I expected," I assure him. I spot Daphne and the prince with one another. "There is Daphne."

"I am surprised her mother has allowed her to come to a boxing match," Val confesses.

"I do not think she has," I tell him. "Anthony is the one escorting her. I would not be surprised if her mama has no idea."