twenty four

I arrive at Lady Bridgerton's ball with Val. Lady Bridgerton's ball is magnificent. I had no doubts about it. I can see that Edwina and Anthony are already on the dance floor. As quickly as we arrive, I slip away from my brother.

"Mercy." I smile as Benedict walks towards me. He holds his hand out to me. "Would you do me the honor of a dance?"

I smile as I take his hand in mine. "Of course."

Benedict and I take to the floor. Then I realise he is not the only Bridgerton.

"You are not going to believe it," I state.

"Believe what?" Benedict asks.

"Eloise is dancing with Lord Morrison," I tell him.

Benedict turns me so he can get a look. "Surely my mother's doing."

"I do not think Eloise is very appreciative of it," I reason.

Just then Eloise walks off of the dance floor away from Lord Morrison.

"Oh no," I remark.

"You know my sister does not like to dance," Benedict says.

"I do not mean it like that. Eloise does not like anything to do with courtship or finding a husband," I tell him. "But she must eventually. She thinks she desires the freedoms that spinsterhood would allow but marrying the right gentlemen would also give her certain freedoms."

"I would not hold my breath on it," Benedict states. "Eloise can be quite stubborn."

After finishing my dance with Benedict, I stand off to the side with Kate.

"You were dancing with Mr Bridgerton again," Kate states.

I nod my head. "Yes. I was."

Kate smiles slightly. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Go on," I tell her.

"Have you ever thought about marrying Mister Bridgerton?"

"I...I..." I shake my head. "No. No. Benedict and I... We are... We are friends and nothing more."

"Why not be something more?" Kate asks.

"He desires the life of an artist," I tell her.

"And you do not?" Kate questions.

I shake my head. "No. I do not. I may be a naive eligible miss, but I do know the reputations that artists and their galleries have."

Edwina steps off of the dance floor having finished another dance with Anthony.

"Lord Bridgerton has gone to get me a lemonade," Edwina tells us.

"How very thoughtful of him," I offer.

"We've just finished our second dance. I'm certain he'd not have asked me for two if he did not have intentions for the evening," Edwina reasons.

"I am pleased to hear that," Kate tells her sister.

"I need you to dance with him," Edwina states.

"What?" Kate asks in confusion.

"If he is going to declare himself before the end of the ball, as I hope, he shall need to ask you for your blessing," Edwina reasons. "And you are ready to grant him your blessing, are you not? This may very well be my last chance."

Anthony steps towards us. "Miss Edwina."

"Lord Bridgerton," Edwina greets. "My sister and I were just speaking. She wishes to take to the floor."