nineteen

Dearest reader. It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges. Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed. Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister. Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

Miss Sharma has presented her mama and Lady Danbury with an appropriate list of suitors for Miss Edwina.

"Lord Lumley. At the top," Lady Danbury says.

"Is he not something of a dandy?" Miss Edwina asks.

"He is a dandy," I state.

"I would use the term gallant," Kate counters.

"Is that what you look for, Edwina?" Lady Mary asks.

"If Kate believes in him, so do I," Miss Edwina states.

"I see you've left off Lord Bridgerton," Lady Danbury states.

"Oh, now, he is what Edwina is looking for," Lady Mary insists.

"An oversight on your part, dear sister?" Lady Danbury asks.

"Lord Bridgerton is quite adept at conveying false first impressions," Kate reasons.

"What did you hear?" Lady Danbury asks as she looks at me.

"He stated rather clearly that he seeks a wife only to fulfill his duty and does not believe in love at all," Kate explains.

I may have told her all about Anthony. If her sister truly is to marry him, they should both know how Anthony feels. What he is looking for in a marriage.

"And you find this unusual?" Lady Danbury asks. "Most marriages of the ton are, in fact, mere matters of business, my dear. Matters that have been working for centuries. It is the true love match that is quite rare."

"You know what it is you are looking for, Bon," Kate tells her sister. "You must not forget it. Lord Lumley will turn the viscount into a distant memory. I am certain."

Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

I walk down the hallway towards the drawing room. I pass Miss Edwina's long line of callers. I had one myself this morning, but he has long since gone. I am hoping there are still some biscuits in the drawing room.

I stop and smile when I see Anthony down the hallway standing all alone.

"She sent you to the back of the line?" I ask.

Anthony does not look happy to see me when he turns around. "Did you tell Miss Sharma about what you overheard at Lady Danbury's party?"

"What did I overhear?" I ask.

"Mercy," Anthony says.

"I confess I did inform her of your declarations," I tell him.

Anthony looks at me rather angry. "Why? Why would you do that?"

"She should know who her sister is involved with," I reason.

"I will never have a chance with Miss Edwina if you continue to sabotage my attempts," Anthony states.

"I have done no such thing," I assure him. "I simply repeated what you said. I did not lie."

Anthony looks as if he wants to yell at me. He takes a deep breath. "I will court Miss Edwina regardless of how you feel."