twelve

Dearest gentle reader, I must send felicitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings. Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together finally leaving watchful eyes behind. While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

Attending my first luncheon without Daphne is rather boring. She was always someone I could confide in. We are the same age going through life at the same speed and now suddenly she is married and gone, and I am right where I have always been. I can only hope that I to will find someone to marry. Someone for me to start a life with.

"Mercy."

I see Benedict walking towards me.

"Benedict."

"Do not tell me that what my brother said has gotten to you," Benedict says.

"He is not wrong, Benedict. We were being careless," I state. "But," I smile slightly, "Anthony has no right to tell me what to do."

Benedict looks like he wants to say something but his brother interrupts. "What did I tell you two?"

"We are standing in the middle of a garden," Benedict reminds him.

"We are surrounded by people," I add.

"When will you understand that I am just looking out for you both?" Anthony remarks.

"It is not your job to do so," I remind him.

Benedict makes a face. "Is that why you have been staring at Mercy for the past half an hour."

"I was doing no such thing," Anthony insists.

"If you insist." Benedict smiles. "I shall leave you two in each other's company."

As Benedict walks off Anthony looks at me. "Mercy."

"Yes, Lord Bridgerton?" I ask.

Anthony takes a breath. "Did you tell Benedict that I came to see you the other night?"

"Are you insane?" I question. "Why would I do that?"

"You seem to tell him a lot," Anthony states.

"We are friends as I have told you time and time again," I state. "But I would not dare tell him that you have come to see me twice now in the middle of the night."

"As a friend," Anthony insists.

"Benedict never comes to visit me in the middle of the night," I reason.

Anthony closes his eyes for a moment. I can tell he is trying to stay calm. "Why must you argue with me?"

"Why must you act as if you are in control of me?" I question.

"I am looking out for you. I have told you this before," Anthony states.

"Why do I not believe you?" I remark. "Why do you suddenly care all about what Benedict and I are doing?"

Colin hits a glass with a knife drawing the attention of everyone. "May I have everyone's attention? I would like to make a small but important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted."

"Did you know about this?" I ask.

Anthony shakes his head. "No. Not a clue."

"I guess we should congratulate them," I offer.