twenty seven

Anthony and I spent nor more than two weeks on our honeymoon. I did not wish to be stuck at Aubrey Hall with a man who doesn't love me. I would rather face the scrutiny of the ton then spend one more speechless minute with Anthony.

Of course the Bridgerton family were shocked to see us back so soon, but I simply played it off as wanting to get used to running my own home. It still seems strange that I will be the head of the Bridgerton house not Violet. I am the new Lady Bridgerton.

Anthony and I thought it a good idea to attend a new gallery opening. Lady Danbury wants me to host my first ball with her and Violet's help. I welcome the distraction.

As we enter the gallery all eyes are on Anthony and I. Surely people are speculating as to why we are back in town to soon.

"Do not be deterred," Lady Danbury says. "If we can put the wedding behind us, so can they."

I walk through the gallery with my arm in Anthony's.

"Do you even wish to host a ball?" Anthony asks.

I nod my head. "I do. I wish to act as the new Lady Bridgerton."

"This is not simply because you wish to avoid me?" Anthony asks.

"Lady Hood. How good to see you today," I greet.

"And you, Lady Bridgerton. And Lord Bridgerton too," Lady Hood says.

I leave Anthony on his own to speak to a few gentlemen. I walk through a gallery with Violet and Lady Danbury.

"Lady Danbury. Lady Bridgerton. Lady Bridgerton," Lady Cowper greets. "What a surprise to see you here."

"You do know my family has its very own room here, yes, Lady Cowper?" Lady Danbury asks.

"Over there, is it not?" Violet says as she points to the sign above the door.

"The one with the, uh... Danbury name just above the door," Lady Danbury states.

"How nice it is to see all of you. Though, Lady Bridgerton, I'd have thought you required a longer honeymoon after the strenuous events of the past month."

I smile. "Oh, on the contrary. I shall be hosting my first ball later this week. Have you not received an invitation?"

Lady Danbury pretends to be surprised. "Oh."

"My. Well... I will see if there is still room. We shall have a full house, no doubt," I tell the ladies.

I sit in the drawing room with the Bridgerton family. My family.

"The invitations are ready to be distributed, ma'am," Mrs Wilson tells me.

"Excellent, Mrs. Wilson," I tell her.

"Oh, dear little Augie is still suffering from his cough, so the duchess will naturally not be able to attend," Violet tells me. "But that is precisely why it is so important that the rest of us embrace this theme of harmony..." Hyacinth stops playing the pianoforte at that exact moment. "...and work together to impress our guests."

Hyacinth begins to play once more.

Eloise moves to open a window. "It is positively suffocating in here."

"Eloise, dear? Are you feeling unwell?" Violet asks.

"Do not fret, Mama. I'll still be in attendance at your ball," Eloise assures.

"Participating in this farce along with the rest of us," Anthony states.

"I think a little support from my husband would be nice," I remark. "I am doing this for all of us."