twenty two

I look up from the book I am reading as Val walks into the room I am staying in.

"Here you are," Val says.

I look at him curiously. "I have been here for the better part of the day reading."

Val nods as he throws himself down in a chair. "After you came back from the woods with Lord Bridgerton."

I laugh. "After Colin Bridgerton hit my pall-mall ball into the woods after Anthony's."

"Should I have been worried I let you and Anthony go traipsing off into the woods alone?" Val asks.

"Why ever should you start worrying about Anthony and I now?" I ask. "We have only known each other for years."

Val smiles slightly. "I suppose I should be more worried about you hurting him than him hurting you."

"He told me he is going to propose to Edwina," I tell him.

"Should we not be happy for him?" Val asks. "I feel as though we should be happy for him."

I shrug my shoulders. "I suppose." I look at Val. "I know why I am not happy but what reason do you have?"

I can see a blush creep up Val's checks. "You are blushing."

"No, I am not," Val insists.

I let out a little gasp. "You are in love with Edwina."

"No, I am not," Val repeats.

"Yes, you are," I state. "How did I not notice it?"

"You have been rather occupied with Anthony as of late or maybe with Benedict. I struggle to keep things straight," Val remarks.

I make a face. "That is not the point. We are talking about you here, Brother. Have you told Edwina how you feel?"

Val shakes his head. "No. I cannot."

"Why?" I question. "Why would you not tell her?"

"It is one sided," Val insists.

"How would you know if you do not tell her?" I reason.

"I cannot," Val insists. "She and Anthony are courting."

"Anthony does not love her," I tell him. "You do. Should that not mean something?"

Daphne and I sit in the nursery watching over baby Augie. It is still surreal to see Daphne as a new mother. It feels like just yesterday we met. That we were running off in the garden together ignoring our lessons.

"I am still quite angry you won at pall-mall," I tell Daphne.

She laughs. "It did help that you were off in the woods unable to finish the game."

I make a face. "Do not remind me of it."

"It did not seem as if Miss Edwina was having much fun," Daphne states.

I nod my head. "I noticed. I do not think she is as competitive as her sister."

"Or like you," Daphne offers.

I laugh. "Or like me. But then again, I have always appreciated your family's desire to be downright gladiatorial. It rivals Val and I's own competitiveness."

"As if the game can be played any other way," Daphne jokes.

"I was surprised she played for as long as she did," I confess.

"I think it was long enough to impress Anthony too," Daphne tells me.

"I think he plans on proposing," I inform her.