venti.

[unedited]  

10th January;

// Luke //

"I guess you're all wondering why we've brought you here today." Ashton says into the microphone. The four of us are sat at a long table in front of a room full of reporters, recording with their cameras, notepads and phones.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but I am dying." A chorus of gasps echo throughout the room as the words spill from his lips, and his voice is shaky as he continues.

"I have a cancerous brain tumour, and my doctor told me that it is terminal. I will die." His voice cracks on the last word, and I know I have to say something.

"This is a huge thing for the four of us, and I'm sure it is for all of you as well. The thing we all ask for right now is privacy. We will be flying back to Australia in a matter of days so Ashton can spend his remaining time at home with his family. We all love him, and our fans as well." I say, pulling away from the microphone and sitting back in my chair.

"Right now, we are unsure what this means for us as a band, but we do know that we are going to be focusing our time on Ashton and being with him, so it is with heavy hearts that we must cancel any and all of our scheduled shows for this year. Refunds will obviously be given and we deeply apologise for having to do this, but we feel as though we have no other choice." Calum informs the crowd, amazingly holding it together. I rest my hand on his shoulder and solemnly smile at him, and I hope he understands. He returns the same smile, before turning back to the audience. Michael is the only person left with something to say.

"I don't really know what to say now, I feel like the boys said it all. I just want to say thank you to the fans for always sticking by us. We will keep you all updated with everything that is happening, as well as the future of 5 Seconds Of Summer. At this moment, we don't know whether this will be the end of the road for the band, but I can tell you that we will be on hiatus for the forseeable future. We love you, every single one of you." With that, he stands and walks out of the door which we entered the room through. We all mumble our goodbyes and follow him.

At first, we can't find him. I leave Ashton and Calum in our makeshift dressing room, and walk aimlessly around the building. Well, until I hear sobs from a restricted room. I open the door and find Mikey on the floor, his knees drawn up to his chest and his forehead resting atop them, strangled cries and sobs shaking his whole body.

"Mike?" I mumble, and situate myself next to him.

"He's dying Luke, he's fucking dying." He cries, not moving his head to look at me. I awkwardly pat his back, not really sure what to do. I've never been that good in this kind of situation, I'm just too awkward.

"I know he is Mikey." I sigh, sitting in the same position as him, except I turn my head so I'm looking at him.

"I don't know what we're gonna do. We won't be 5-sauce without him." He sighs heavily, and his sobs seem to have subsided.

"I know, man. We've got a while to figure out what we're going to do." I tell him, and he lifts his head.

"Yeah, 3 months until he's six feet under." He spits, getting angry with me for no apparent reason.

"Dude, calm down." I say, trying to sound as calm as possible as I reach out to touch his arm.

"And then, when he's gone, we can go right back to hating each other, can't we? No more fucking acting." He almost growls, and I'm shocked.

"Mike, I thought we were over it..." I sigh, rubbing a hand over my face.

"Well you thought wrong then, didn't you." He hisses, before jumping to his feet and storming out of the room.

What the fuck?

---

Short and not-so-sweet ayoooo