Chapter One

When the high-pitched, shrill scream rang out, the whole camp froze and listened for the source. I couldn't hear anything other than the terrible screeching, but the wolves in the kitchen seemed to know what was happening. They all dropped their platters of chopped vegetables and mixing bowls as they rushed to help. The metal clanged to the ground loudly, but it was quiet compared to the chaos that was building.

I felt a chill run down my spine as the wolves sprung into action. I watched the head chef run through the back door of the kitchen and shift immediately, her white chef coat falling in pieces on the ground. I heard yelling and commotion behind me as one of the pack leaders barked out orders, but my feet stayed frozen in place.

A young fleeing wolf bumped into me as they ran for the back door, and my hip pushed painfully into the edge of the counter. I shook my head from the trance I was in, glancing up at the small window in front of me. It looked out into the courtyard area where many of the younger wolves would eat their lunch. But instead of seeing lounging teenagers, I saw a battlefield of wolves clawing and ripping into each other.

The ground was littered with fallen wolves, but I wasn't sure how many were wolves from our pack. I couldn't make out anything in their hurried movements, but I recognized the blonde wolf lying still on the edge of fight. My heart pounded in my chest as I took in the motionless form of my only friend in the pack. Nora was one of the only kind individuals I'd met, and she deserved better than dying in a fight that wasn't her own.

I pushed back the tears that started to form, knowing they wouldn't do any good. Nora's death seemed to be the thing I needed to push me into action. As much as I wished she didn't have to die, I knew that this attack was the opportunity I had been hoping for. I couldn't waste anymore time cowering in the kitchen.

My knuckles had turned white as I clutched the knife in my hand, still hovering over a freshly peeled carrot as I prepared to chop it. I loosened my grip slightly, but held onto the knife as I made my way towards the back door. Most of the others who had been helping in the kitchen were nowhere to be found, which meant they were either fighting or helping the children to find shelter in the pack house.For once, no one was watching my every movement. No one was worried about where I was and what I was doing, too worried about their own hide.

I didn't waste anymore time as I hurried out the back of the kitchen. I heard growling and snapping to my left, but I did my best to tune out the sounds of fighting. I turned instead to my right, following the side of the building as it curved around. I kept my eyes out for any pack members, my heart beating frantically in my chest as I jogged through the grass.

Luckily, I made it to the edge of the forest without anyone noticing me. I took one last glance behind me at the fight in the courtyard, my stomach twisting at a particularly piercing howl. I knew exactly who it was, and he did not sound happy. I let my fear at the sound motivate me as I took off through the forest.

I had never been very athletic, but I pushed my legs harder than they'd ever gone. I weaved in between trees, jumped over fallen logs, and listened to my shallow breathing. I had no idea where I was going, but I knew that the sounds of fighting were fading behind me and that's all that mattered. As long as I was moving away from the pack, it didn't matter where I went.

Just as I started to believe I had finally made it out, I heard a low growl that made me stop in my tracks. I nearly tumbled into a pile of newly fallen leaves as I did, but I caught myself on a tree as I looked around for the source of the noise. The sun was already setting, making the thick forest dim, and I felt my heart beating against my chest as I squinted through the trees. Another growl had me spinning around to face the wolf, the knife in my hand raising up in front of me.

The wolf was easily my height, if not taller, with a dark coat that looked to be missing chunks. It's skin was flaky and covered in dirt, and it's hot breath smelled rancid. I knew it was a rogue, and not someone from my pack. Part of me was relived they hadn't chased after me to bring me back, but the other part knew I was no match for a hungry rouge.

Before I could even think of a plan, the wolf let out a powerful growl and launched itself at me. I felt a scream rip its way out of my dry throat, and I instinctively dropped to the ground. I lifted the knife over my head and squeezed my eyes shut, though I doubted a kitchen knife would do much to a full grown werewolf.

I fully expected to feel the burn of its teeth sinking into my arm as it reached me, but it never came. Instead, I felt the knife in my head sunk into the stomach of the wolf, disappearing deep into their intestines. Thick, red blood ran down my arm and onto my shirt, covering me in the sticky liquid. It's massive body slumped on top of me, and the wolf's overwhelming scent clouded all of my senses.

My breaths came out shaky and slow as I pushed the wolf off of me and removed the knife. When I fully took in the sight of the dead wolf at my feet, I stepped the side and unloaded the contents of my stomach. My body shook as I coughed, and tears streamed down my face.

I looked around the quickly darkening forest, unsure what to do next. I had no food water, or shelter, and it was rapidly approaching a very cold night. I mentally cursed myself for not preparing better, or at least grabbing some food and a blanket before leaving. I glanced back in the direction I had run from. If I went back, I was sure they would punish me for leaving, but they wouldn't kill me. If I stayed in the forest, I could either get attacked by another rouge, or die of hypothermia. Neither option was one I wanted.

When another loud, piercing howl rang out in the night, I knew I couldn't go back to the pack. They may let me live if I went back, but I had decided a long time ago I didn't want to live like that. With one last glance at the dead wolf, I took off again through the trees.

I pushed my legs to go further and further, ignoring the protests of my sore muscles. The sun had disappeared, making it very difficult to navigate the thick forest, but I didn't stop until I was well past the pack lines. When I finally spotted a larger rock, I let my legs give out beneath me as I huddled behind the structure. It blocked some of the sharp winds, and kept me fairly hidden.

The forest was nearly pitch black, but I knew any wolves who stumbled across me would be able to see in the dark. I did my best to camouflage myself amongst the piles of leaves. I still had blood on me from the rogue I had killed, and one sniff of my shirt was enough to know the rouge's scent had stayed behind. I hoped that was enough to mask my own.

Despite my body shivering in the dark, I knew I couldn't afford to make a fire. I was still too close to pack grounds, and it would give me away too easily. So I huddled closer to the rock to block some winds, and kept my senses on for any intruders. The sounds of fighting and howling had long since died down, and the forest was eerily quiet. It didn't take long for my body's exhaustion to catch up with me, and my eyes to fall shut as I let sleep overcome me.