Chapter Nineteen

Shortly after I confided in Nolan, Rory came barreling through the office door and attacked me in a hug. She had tears streaming down her face and was rambling as she admitted that she had heard part of our conversation. I wanted to be mad at her for eavesdropping, but I couldn't be mad when she was sobbing and hugging me. I knew I would have told her anyway - this way I didn't have to do it twice.

I had never seen Rory so upset before, but as soon as she saw I wasn't mad at her for listening her tears turned to anger. She started pacing the room and yelling profanities about Howard and what she would do to him if he ever showed his face. Nolan and I laughed together and cringed at her vivid depictions.

Rory told me how excited she was that I'd found them. She repeated over and over how they would never treat me the way Howard did, and kept saying it until I told her I believed her. And I truly did - in the month I'd known them, they'd shown me nothing but kindness. As irritated as I was when I woke up here, I knew if I had been left to my own devices in the forest I wouldn't have survived much longer.

Eventually, the conversation eased into one less intense. Nolan told us a funny story from years ago, before he met Rory, when he, Turin, and Cillian decided to visit the town nearby. He said that was the last time he spent much time around humans, before I showed up. It was nearly fifty years ago, and apparently it hadn't gone very well.

"...and then we had to leave early after Turin drunkenly told the whole town about werewolves. They were convinced we were maniacs, and tried to get us locked up." Nolan grinned as he recounted the story to us as if it were last week. Rory and I had long forgotten our inventory task, and were lounging on the floor of the office while we listened to him. Our faces were red from laughter, permanent smiles plastered on our faces.

"Am I interrupting something?"

All three of us looked towards the new voice to see Cillian standing in the doorway. He had either approached so quietly none of us heard, or we were far too absorbed in laughing at the story to notice. Probably both.

He raised his eyebrows at the three of us sprawled across the floor and grinning like idiots. Nolan jumped up at the presence of his Alpha, his face turning a slight shade of red. Rory and I stood up as well, but it didn't hold the same urgency.

"No, not at all. We were just talking," Nolan told him hurriedly. I saw him check his watch, and his eyes widened as he realized the time, "I should probably get going. I'll be late for patrol."

Nolan avoided Cillian's gaze as he leaned towards his mate and gave her a quick kiss. He turned to me next, his crooked smile appearing as he pulled me into a tight hug. I hugged him back, yelping when he poked my sides and tickled me. I jumped away and glared at him, but my smile gave me away.

"I'll see you guys later!" Nolan laughed as he headed for the door, sneaking past Cillian and disappearing. Cillian stepped further into the room, leaving the door cracked behind him.

His eyes moved over me, watching me carefully to see how I acted. I knew he was worried I was still upset and might lash out at him, but I was never upset with him in the first place. I didn't want him to keep worrying about me.

"Did you get done early?" I asked him with a smile, unable to hide the hopeful tone in my voice. When he shook his head, I tried to hide my disappointment better.

"No, I have to get back to training soon. I just came to grab something to eat and I heard you guys laughing." Cillian explained, nodding his head towards the door. His eyes moved to the piles of supplies behind Rory and I, chuckling as he gestured to the stacks, "I guess inventory is super entertaining this month."

"Only because I have Finley to help me now!" Rory sang excitedly, bumping her shoulder into mine. I rolled my eyes at her enthusiasm.

"Please, you're just glad you have someone to boss around." I told her with a snort. She smirked at me and shrugged.