FERAL: chapter twenty-nine [part one]

The warriors are getting ready to go

I watch as some file into vans while others shift. It was the luna's idea to bring vans to help transport any captives. If I couldn't shift, then there was a chance that some of the others wouldn't be able to or they would be too weak.

"Be safe, okay?"

Gamma Foster stood with his very pregnant mate. I knew for a fact that Gray had offered to let him stay behind, but he insisted on going.

"I'll be back before you even know it," He replies, brushing away the tears that streamed down his mate's face.

His hands moved to his mate's stomach and he crouched down before beginning to talk again. Feeling like I was intruding, I turned away. Gray was kneeling down as he talked to his daughter and Everest was hugging Novak.

"Are we ready to go yet?" An annoyed voice says from behind me.

I glance over and see Councilman Steele standing beside me. His foot bounces against the ground and he grumbles to himself. His voice sounds annoyed, but buried deep within his eyes, I see pain.

"What?" He snaps, noticing I was staring at him.

I shake my head. "Nothing, just thanks for all this."

He stares at me for a minute and opens his mouth to reply, but Gray's yelling stops him.

"Alright, everyone it's time to go!"

Those six words cause mates to cry harder than they were before and parents to hug their kids tighter as if it was the last time they'd see them. Councilman Steele and others begin to load into the vans or shift. Foster moves to climb into the first van while Gray shifts and moves to the front of the army of wolves.

Once everyone is position, Gray lets out a howl and they all take off. Everest and I watch as they leave pack lands, we watch as the alphas from other packs join them, we watch until they're out of sight.

When we can't see them anymore, I turn to look at Everest. His eyes are glossed over, there's a frown on his face, and his worry is clear. I place my hand on his shoulder, causing him to look at me.

"Come on," I offer him a smile. "No point worrying right?"

Everest nods before we turn in the direction of his house.

Worrying won't do us any good and despite telling Everest to not worry, I can't help but do so myself.