FERAL: chapter forty-two

The first thing I notice when I wake up is Onyx laying beside me

The first thing I notice when I wake up is Onyx laying beside me. His breath is evened out and his eyes are closed. Despite being back, I still can't help but be thankful that he's here. I can't help but be thankful that he's by my side. It's funny to think that if I had just denied taking that extra shift, things could've gone so differently.

The bed begins to shift and I smile as Onyx's eyes flutter open. He blinks a few times before looking over at me and returning my smile.

"Good morning, Love," I greet.

"Morning," Onyx says as he rolls closer to me.

I wrap an arm around him and he smiles against my chest.

"What are you thinking about?" He questions.

"You," I admit.

Onyx smiles at my words and his arms wrap around me. "What's the plan for today?"

My smile dims slightly. I had to go and see Dad this morning and I knew Onyx would be willing to join me, but this was something I had to do on my own.

"Actually, I have to go visit the cellar," I say and he frowns slightly. "How about you go see Everest and then when I leave I'll come find you for lunch?"

His frown's still there, but he nods nonetheless. I'd want nothing more than to spend the day with him, but I knew that if I didn't to this then I'd regret it. I lean down slightly and kiss his forehead before climbing out of the bed and moving to the bathroom to get ready.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about seeing Dad. As much as I hated it, I still wanted him to come around and prove he wasn't a bad person. I wanted him to prove me wrong and show that he cared about me as a son rather than a beta.

At the end of the day, that's what I was; his son.

Once I finished changing, I moved to make breakfast for Onyx and I. We had thankfully gone shopping and there was now food in the fridge. As I cooked, Onyx came down a few minutes later and sat at the table. He was quieter than usual.

"Is everything okay?" I glance over at him.

There's a frown on his face and he's glancing down at the table. When he doesn't reply, I move towards him and crouch down beside him.

"Onyx, what's wrong?" I ask.

"You're going to see your Dad, right?" He asks and I nod. "I don't know...it just feels like I ruined your bond with him. Why did you choose to not kill me?"

The question has my heart breaking.

"Onyx, you did not ruin anything. If anything, you shined a light on the cracks in our relationship. My dad and I never really had the perfect father-son relationship and he proved that even before you shifted," I tell him honestly. "I thought we were okay, but we haven't been fine for a long time. Even before my mom died. You didn't break our relationship- it was already broken."