FERAL: chapter thirty-six

gray

Feral.

That was the only word I could think of to describe Gaius. In all the years I had known the man, I had never seen him quite like this.

I had never seen him in such a...monster-like state.

Whatever Vernon had done managed to knock Onyx out quite easily, but Gaius? That was another story.

His wolf trashes against my hold as he tried to free himself. A mixture of whines, growls, snarls, and howls escapes him.

"Why is it not putting him out?!" Foster calls out to Vernon over the sound of Gaius.

I wanted to know the same thing. Why was this taking so long?

"He's a beta wolf, of course he's going to be stronger," Vernon tells us matter-of-factly.

"Can't you fix their bond yet?" I question.

I was ready for this to be over.

Vernon's head shakes. "Not until Gaius is knocked out, otherwise his wolf will be too strong for his human to overpower."

I want to growl in annoyance but decide against it and hold it back. Something told me that will only make Gaius angrier.

"How much long-" Foster starts.

Foster is cut off by Gaius momentarily breaking free. Before he can grab him again, Gaius manages to sink his canines into his shoulder. Foster winces and I quickly manage to pull Gaius off and the warriors move to help.

"Gaius, stop!" I growls out with an alpha command.

I can hear whines coming from the warriors around me but my attention is solely focused on my beta. Gaius paused his attack for a second, his wolf clearly feeling the pack bond still attached to him. Foster quickly manages to grab Gaius again and once his grasp is secure, I take a look at his shoulder.

Thankfully, the wound seemed to be healing relatively quick.

"Asshole," Foster says with a sigh, but there was no venom in his voice.

"How much longer?" I question.

Vernon shrugs. "It depends on when his wolf goes out. It could be minutes, hours or-"

Before he could finish, I felt Gaius go limp in my grasp.

"-seconds," Vernon finished.

Foster and I laid Gaius back on the bed. We stayed close just to be safe.

"Are you going to fix it now?" One of the warriors ask Vernon.

Vernon doesn't reply immediately. He stares at the two passed out wolves for a minute before shaking his head.

"In a few more minutes," he tells them.

"How do you know so much about wolves?" Foster questions as he leans up against the wall and checks his shoulder.

Vernon's smile turns bitter and I watch as the pink in his eyes flickers slightly.

"I was mated to one."

The room falls quiet and Foster, who doesn't pick up on the change, opens his mouth to ask another question. I elbow him and shake my head no.

I only knew a little about Vernon's mate. I knew that he had been an abusive piece of shit for the majority of the time they were together. I also knew that Vernon was the one who broke the bond between them and killed him.

When the idea of bringing Vernon to help find Gaius was suggested, I wanted to say no. But the more digging I did, the more I began to feel bad for him rather than apprehensive about inviting him and requesting his help.

When I met him, he was nothing like the anxious incubus his file made him out to be.

Vernon's eyes return to their bright pink state and he moves his hands back over each of their chests. A few minutes pass by and the room is silent.

I had originally wanted to deny the whole idea of breaking Gaius and Onyx's bond. It was dangerous and could to more harm than good. But the more Quinn, Vernon, and I argued over it, the more I began to begrudgingly accept that it wasn't my decision- it was Onyx's.

Onyx.

It was hard to believe that this was the same wolf I was so against letting into the pack. The same wolf I was willing to allow be kidnapped and possibly killed.

I hadn't been able to tell Gaius yet, but any feelings of distrust I had for the former feral had disappeared. I'd never tell him but, to an extent, I actually even enjoyed his company.

"It's done," Vernon looks at me and his eyes are no longer pink. "The bond is restored."

"What happens now?" Foster questions.

Vernon sighs and he stares at Gaius.

"We wait for them to wake up."