FERAL: chapter forty-four

As I walk around with the luna, I can't help but acknowledge just how beautiful the pack really is

As I walk around with the luna, I can't help but acknowledge just how beautiful the pack really is. I had never really stopped to look around before but now that I was looking at it, I didn't want to leave. When Gaius had given me a tour, I was focused more on the buildings and people rather than the natural beauty. But the flowers were beautiful, the occasional wild animal managed to catch my attention. Normally we'd ignore them unless we were hunting.

"Onyx?" I hear the luna call out.

Blinking twice, I turn to her and she smiles at me. It was crazy to see just how different she was to her mate. While Gray had this aura of intimidation surrounding him, Luna Quinn was much more approachable and calming. Despite not knowing her all too well, I felt comfortable being around her.

"Yes, Luna?"

Luna Quinn waves me off. "Quinn is just fine," she smiled and looked ahead. "The pack lands really are gorgeous aren't they?"

"They are," I agree.

The two of us continue to walk in silence. The occasional pack member comes up to us and talks to Quinn. Every time they do so, there's always a smile on their faces. When they see her, I watch as their eyes light up.

I wonder what that feels like.

"You know the pack wasn't always this calm and beautiful," Quinn says. "Back when Gray's grandparents were the alpha and luna, the pack was a warrior pack. If you weren't considered strong, you were kicked out."

I frown at that. "What changed?"

A young girl runs up and offers Quinn a flower. She leans down and takes it before thanking the little girl.

"Well, Gray's dad took over the pack and met his mate. Luna Annabelle changed the pack with the help of Gaius' mom. At first nobody trusted Luna Annabelle; she was a rogue before coming to the pack. But instead of giving into the hatred, she fought to make a change."

A smile falls on my face. "She sounds like she was a great woman."

"She was," Quinn agrees before stopping. She turned to me and her brown eyes met my hazel. "I know that the pack hasn't always been the most...welcoming, but I'm glad that you are here, Onyx."

A quiet laugh escapes me. "Most people aren't."

While most of the pack members didn't outright show their disliking of me, some gave mean looks and most just completely ignored me. I don't know which was worse; being hated or being ignored for things I couldn't control.

The smile falls off Quinn's face and she pulls me into a hug before I can react.

"In the short time that you've been here, I've already noticed ways you've been helping those around you."

"In the short time that I've been here, trouble's come knocking on every door," I counter.

She shakes her head. "Before you came, Gaius was practically working himself to death. All he did was eat and do boarder patrols. Before you came, Gray was a much colder person and he hardly ever opened up to those around him. Now, everyday it seems as if he's becoming a better person; a better leader."

"Gray doesn't like me."

Quinn smiles. "He may not show it, but trust me when I say that he enjoys your company more than he lets on."

I open my mouth go deny her claim, but the sight of Gamma Foster running like a maniac has me stopping.

"What are you-"

"My baby's coming!" He calls out as he races past Quinn and I.

Quinn's furrowed brows raise and her smile grows.

"Taylor's in labor?" She asks.

"That's what I just said!" He shouts back.

I tilt my head as he disappears around the corner.

"Why's he running?" I question.

She laughs quietly. "It's Foster, I wouldn't expect anything else."

She starts to walk in the direction Gamma Foster had taken off in. Before she turns the corner, she stops and raises a brow at me.

"Are you coming?"

"Coming where?" My brows furrow.

"To the newest family member," she says like it was obvious.

I open my mouth to question if I'm even allowed there. Sure, I knew Gamma Foster and his mate, but we weren't close. The look on Quinn's face causes me to bite back my question and instead I nod.

"Yeah, I'm right behind you."