FERAL: chapter forty-three

"Why do you look like you're about to shit your pants?" Foster asks in confusion

"Why did you link me? Is everything okay?" I ask Gray whose brows furrow.

"I never said anything was wrong. I didn't call you in here because there was a problem," he told me.

I relax slightly at his words, but feelings of confusion replace the worried ones. Why did he ask me to come here then?

"What did you need then? You never ask me to come here unless something bad happened or I did something wrong."

A scowl falls on Gray's face. "That's not..." he trails off.

"See, you can't even think of one moment where this hasn't been the case," I shake my head as a small smile makes its way onto my face.

"Shut up," Gray shakes his head.

"Just proving my point. So, why am I here?"

My eyes drift to Foster who is making "funny" faces at Layne. In my opinion, they look more demonic than funny, but Layne seems to like them. Gray lifts her slightly and adjusts their position so he's sitting up straighter and his blue eyes meet my brown.

"Don't you think it's time for Onyx to officially join the pack?" He raises a brow.

I blink twice at him. With everything that's happened, the idea of Onyx joining the pack had never crossed my mind. The fact that Gray was the one bringing it up was the most surprising thing. When I first found Onyx, I thought we'd end up having to leave the pack. To be honest, I still hadn't been completely sure Gray was okay with Onyx. I know he said he was, but he used to be the main one against Onyx.

"You want Onyx to join the pack?" I mirror his raised brow. "You?"

Gray sighs. "If you would've asked me before, my answer would've been hell no. The whole time that he's been here, the more trouble seems to follow."

I open my mouth to argue, but Gray raises his hand in a silencing motion.

"-But, in the time that I've known him, he's shown that he isn't a bad person. He cares about you and I'm sure as the pack gets to know him more, they'll grow to accept him too."

"You used to hate him. Letting him into the pack would mean acknowledging him as the second beta of the pack, are you ready for that?" Foster questions.

Gray looks down at Layne. "When you first brought Onyx here, I thought you were being stupid and reckless. While I still believe that you were at first, I told you I would give you the chance to prove that he wasn't dangerous. Looking back, I realize that I never really gave him a fair chance. For that, I owe him an apology. He's proved time and time again that he's better than the beast I made him out to be and that he'd be a good beta."

Gray accepting Onyx was one of the things I had hoped for in the beginning. I wanted the pack to accept him and now that it was finally starting to happen, I didn't know how to feel.

A smile spreads across my face and I nod. "I'd have to ask Onyx first."

Gray nods. "Get back to me and we can have the ceremony on the night of the full moon if he's ready."

"Speaking of Onyx, where us he?" Foster turns to me.

"He's out on a walk with Quinn," I explain.

"It's been forever since it's been just the three of us together. Reminds me of when we were younger," Foster says and I smile at him.

It had been forever. Everyone was so focused on their own lives.

"Where's Taylor?" Gray says to Foster.

"He's back at the house with friends since someone asked me to come to his office."

Gray shakes his head. "You would've came either way or linked me. We both know you can't stay away for too long."

Foster rolls his eyes. "Oh, fuc-"

"-Foster," Gray interrupts sternly as he gestures to Layne.

I can't help but feel slightly amused. "You used to curse all the time, now look at you."

"That's what parenthood will do to you," Foster sighs dramatically. "Since we're in the topic, what the heck is taking you so long to finish your mating bond, Gai?"

"We were not on the topic."

"Now we are," Foster shrugs. "Come on, I would've thought you'd be jumping at the chance by now," he teases.

"I'm not in any rush to mate with Onyx," I answer honestly.

"Getting a mate has taught you patience."

Rolling my eyes, I shove him slightly. Foster snickers before his eyes gloss over and someone links him. I watch as he winces slightly and his eyes widen.

"What's wrong?" I ask once his eyes return to normal.

Foster blinks twice. "Taylor's in labor."

The words leave his mouth and he sits there for a few seconds before his eyes widen.

"Oh shit," he whispers, forgetting Layne is in the room. "Oh shit!"

Foster jumps out of his seat and races to the door before practically throwing it open and racing out. Gray and I glance at each other before staring at the door with wide eyes.

What the hell?

Foster's footsteps get quieter before they stop and then get louder again.

"Get up!" He exclaims. "Taylor's in labor!"

"He's not supposed to be in labor yet," I say.

Foster scowls. "Well the baby decided otherwise, now what are you waiting for? My baby's coming!"

Turning around, Foster races out the building and Gray grabs Layne before we move to follow after him. When we get outside, I see Foster running through the pack like a mad man.

"Why's he running?" I question when I notice that his car is parked beside us.

Gray shrugs. "It's Foster."

"Foster, what in the name of the Goddess are you doing?!" Mrs. Hastings yells when he nearly knocks her over.

"My baby!" Foster calls out, but doesn't stop running. "My baby's coming!"

I shake my head and smile before climbing into Gray's car.

"You think he's ready to he a dad?"

"Hell no. Not in the slightest," Gray snorts. "But is anyone at first?"

Gray starts the car after he finishes buckling Layne in. I can still faintly hear Foster's yelling.

"Come on, let's go meet the newest addition."