Matched with the high lord of Day part 1

I haven't given Helion his own story yet and I have no idea why so here it is! I hope you enjoy. Also sorry this took so long, it took forever to come up with a version of this I was happy with lol.

"Y/n hurry up! I got these invitations from Misha last minute and I am not wasting them because you made us miss the arrival deadline."

"They won't close the gates for another hour Iris, calm down. And if Misha hadn't been screwing around like I told them not to, they wouldn't be injured you'd be there already, but they never listen to me, so here we are."

"They never listen to you because you always caution against the most minor crap."

"Well this time, I was right."

She stuck her tongue out at you jokingly, you feigned irritation and you both laughed. Tonight was supposed to be fun, there was no need to let bickering ruin the night.

It was High lord Helion's birthday, or the day he said was his birthday because there was no record of the actual date anymore, but the citizenry went along with it either way because he threw a massive party every year.

Invite only, of course.

You'd been to the parties in town in previous years, but you could never pass up going to the real thing when the opportunity landed at your feet.

You headed out of the bathroom after one final cursory glance and walked with Iris to the venue. The guards at the doors let you in after inspecting the invitations, saying something about people drafting fakes to crash the event.

Despite there being quite some time before the party even kicked off, a crowd was beginning to form in the ballroom. The orchestra was only warming up so the only thing to do at that point was mingle with other guests which Iris accomplished very easily.

You went around for a few minutes before getting bored, grabbing some champagne, and becoming a wallflower. Dancing was much more fun than small talk.

You were so lost in watching everyone else, that you nearly had a heart attack when someone tapped you on the shoulder.

Helion put a finger to his lips and stood beside you. "I like to watch for who to avoid before I make my entrance." He said.

"Would you like me to leave?"

"Nonsense, you were here first. Have you talked to anyone?"

"I tried, no one wanted to talk about anything interesting, at least I didn't find the topics interesting."

"Most of them aren't, they want to discuss agriculture, or military tactics. Hell, sometimes I'll get giddy if someone wants to talk about finances because it's different than the things I hear twenty times in an hour." He sighed, downing a drink. "But I must play nice because they each give me necessary resources."

"You don't have something to maintain with me."

"That's why I can afford to be candid, my dear. You won't get offended and take something away that I need."

The orchestra started up. "Oh good, I was hoping they'd start the music soon." You smiled.

He offered a hand. "Care for a dance?"

You hesitated but took him up on the offer. A crowd followed suit as soon as you two got through the first few steps of the dance. Iris stared at you from across the room, wriggling her eyebrows at you and making kissy faces, you rolled your eyes.