What's a soulmate? Azriel × child reader

Your little feet padded through the cabin quickly as you searched for your shadowsinger uncle, he had promised you a bedtime story and he was late.

"Uncle azzy! You promised a story today!" You pouted hopping onto his lap.

"Y/n." He said sternly, leaning in so your noses touched. "You, are supposed to be in bed."

"Not till I get the story you promised."

He sighed, scooping you up and moving from where he sat to take you back upstairs. "Which one did I say I was going to tell you again?"

"The one about soulmates."

"Oh right. First you have to get comfortable in bed."

You laid down, getting all snuggly as he tucked you in. "Ready?"

"Mhm."

"Okay." He got down to your eye level before beginning. "The legend of our home starts with the gods, who have said to create one special person for all of us, our soulmates. This is shown through the bond that is created between two people when they meet and fate declares them ready to be together forever."

"Can't a person have more than one soulmate?"

"Yes, but that is only if something happens to the first one, like their partner passes on or they are rejected. Fate gets sad when the pairings don't work, so more are created."

"Fate can do that?"

"Of course, in the end everyone has the right to choose who they be with, but fate likes to give people mates so they can be as happy as possible."

"Fate just wants us to be happy?"

"That's right Y/n, like your mom and dad."

"Or nesta, and Cassian, or you and elaine."

"That's right." He smiled as his shadows swirled around the room. "Just like that."

"Do you think I'll find my soulmate azzy?"

"It may take a long time but you will, just be patient." He grinned. "Now get some rest, it's late."

"Goodnight uncle az." You mumbled.

"Goodnight Y/n. I'll see you in the morning."

He quietly closed your door as you drifted off that night, dreams full of a life with that special person. Someone you did not know but you saw them each night after that up until the day you would meet.

Your soulmate.