Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"You remember that story Charlie? I told you when you were like ten."

"Ma, it's not a story. You know that. I just can't believe you never shared it with your best friend! Especially something that has been planned for 23 years."

"What the fuck Emery? Have you seriously kept something that sounds important from me?" Blaine looked at me like I had just run over a puppy.

"It's no big deal, really. Just a stupid high school thing. It's not going to happen. Forget Charlie said anything." I want this conversation to be over.

"Seriously Mom?" Charlie asked, "I have been waiting to see what would happen since I was ten!"

"Emmy, I think you better start spilling. Blaine looks like his head is going to explode if you don't fill him in." Suddenly, I cannot talk. No words will come. I stand up, walk to the kitchen and proceed to open another bottle of wine.

"Since my mother seems to become mute and suddenly an alcoholic, I can tell you Uncle Blaine." Blaine is going to kill me that I never told him what Charlie is about to.

"When mom was in high school. Her best friend was a guy named Dominic. They became best friends in seventh grade. He was the star quarterback. They never dated but were pretty inseparable. He is one of the only people mom didn't ignore when my grandparents passed away. He was her rock then like you are now Uncle Blaine." I know the part that is coming next is the part Blaine is going to completely freak out about. I take another huge chug of my drink. Both he and Douglas are hanging onto Charlie's every word and I can see my son is loving telling them this story.

"Anyway, a teenage Miss Emery Evans was actually secretly in love with him. Big time in love. And from what I have gathered over the years, it was like real love not puppy love."

"I thought you said you have never been in love before Emery?" Blaine asked me. I sheepishly looked away. I grabbed the bottle of wine and walked out onto our back deck.

I don't know why I am acting this way. Remembering my past just hurts. Dominic is the only person I have ever been in love with. Charlie was correct. Dom was my rock. That and so much more. When we met, it was almost instant friendship. Besides my parents, he was the first person to show me what true unconditional love was until I met Blaine and became a mother. We argued and disagreed like all friends. We never held a grudge and always came to the defense of the other when needed. Many people figured we were more than friends and we just ignored the rumors. We both dated people. Sometimes we would double date, sometimes our boyfriends or girlfriends were jealous. I knew I was infatuated with him by the end of 8th grade. It wasn't until the summer before our Senior year that I realized it was more than that. It was actually my dad that figured it out and when he asked me how I truly felt about Dom, everything click. Like the whole, music and light, a-ha moment. I just never had the nerve to tell him how I really felt. I needed him in my life. I didn't want to tell my true feelings for him, afraid that he would not feel the same way and I would lose our friendship.

I heard the back door open. I knew it was Blaine joining me.

"Baby girl, I know your past hurts you. I am sorry if I pushed to hear the truth." He said wrapping his arms around me.

"You aren't mad at me?"

"You always assume people are mad at you Emery. Charlie told me about a certain time and place but I want to hear you tell me. Do you think you can?"

"Yeah."

FLASHBACK 1995

I ran as fast as I could. Since my parents died, running is the only thing that seems to keep me from falling into pieces. I pushed myself up the hill harder than I have ever have before. My lungs were burning as I reached the pinnacle. I bent over, my hands on my knees, attempting to catch my breath. I could hear the beat of Dom's feet as he raced up the hill himself.