Chapter 3

"Here are the contracts you asked for Mr. King.", My latest temporary assistant said, as she slowly bent over my desk. 

"Thank you Stephanie.", I said dryly.  I could tell immediately she was upset that I hadn't even given her a glance. 

"Well, I will be leaving for the night unless there is anything else you might need?" Stephanie seemed to be begging for a reason to stay.

"No.  I will be leaving soon myself.". This was a lie.  I hardly ever left my office until late.  She quietly turned around and walked out.

I sighed.  Every time the temp agency sends me over a new assistant they try to come on to me. I know I am successful and I know I am easy on the eyes.  But it's why I can't keep anyone permanently.

After graduating college, I became an architect. Dominic King Designs.  It took me many years to work my way up to have my own firm and have other people working for me.  I am a workaholic.  It's why I have one failed marriage and numerous failed relationships.  I have never had kids.  Some of my friends think I must be lonely and they are correct sometimes. 

My cell phone rings as I am reading through the contracts.  I smile when I see the name on the screen and answer.

"How the hell are you Jensen?". Jensen has been one of my best friends since high school.  We try to get together whenever we can. 

"I have been great!  I am in town. Can you meet me at my hotel for dinner and a drink?" Jensen is in pharmaceutical sales.

"Jens, I have told you a million times, when you are in town you can stay at my place.  There is more than enough room!  So pack your shit and meet me there in 30."

"I hate imposing on you and I will be here for about two weeks."

"Two weeks!  That's great!  It will be like high school all over again!"

Jensen starts laughing.  "Yeah well I am old now and I can't drink like we are that young anymore!"

"We were saints as teenagers.  I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Okay St. Dominic.  See you in 30.". Jensen hangs up the call.

I start clearing up my work to get ready to head home.  It will be nice to spend some time with Jensen.

FLASHBACK 1995

"WE RULE!" my friend Jensen Chase yells from the back of my truck, where he is standing up and pounding on the roof.

We just won our area championship in football and will be going on in two weeks to try for the state championship.  We are driving to a party at another player's house.  Jensen has already had a few. He is in the back of the truck with a few other players.  In the cab with me are my girlfriend Annie and my best friend Emery.  Annie is a cheerleader.  We have only been dating for a few weeks.  Emery has been my best friend since 8th grade.  She is the best soccer player ever.  Boy or girl. 

"I am so proud of you and the team!", Annie gushes and grabs my arm.  I look over and see Emery making fake gagging motions and I stifle a laugh. Em usually likes my girlfriends but she has never really liked Annie even before we started dating.  Annie turns to Em, "Aren't you proud too Emery?"

Emery looks at me and then Annie and says "Omg like I am so totally proud!", in the ditziest voice I have ever heard.  I have to try super hard not to laugh again.

Annie actually throws herself into hugging Emery and screams.  Em looks scared to death.

"Hey babe, Emery isn't really the hugging type and I think you may be suffocating her."

Annie backs off with a smile.

I looked over at Em and if looks could kill, I would have been a dead man.  I smiled a thousand watt and and she couldn't help but smile a little as she turned to look out the window.

End of Flashback

Whoa...how did that happen?  I was remembering something about Jensen and it turned into a full blown Emery memory.  Which happens more than I would like to admit. 

As I grab my briefcase, keys and turn off my office light, I wonder what Emery Evans is doing right now.  Is she happy?  Is she successful?  Isn't she turning 40 soon?  Does she remember the pact?  She is probably happily married.  

I try to think of anything else besides Emery as I drive to my house to meet Jensen.  But it seems that tonight is one of those nights when she invades my mind.  I hate that we lost touch.  There has been this missing piece since the last time we spoke when she was pregnant with her son.  I think she was going to name him Charlie after her Dad.  We were so young when she had him and I heard that she had married the father and he was no good.  I called her and gave some unsolicited advice and concern and stubborn Emery was not having it.  We have not spoken since.  We were only 19. Only a year of college behind us. 

The night before I left for college was the last time I had seen her.  And that didn't go well either.  I had stopped by her house and her sister Torie had told me she had left a bit before I got there. When I asked where she went, Torie only said she looked dressed to run.  I knew where she was.

I parked my car at the park below and ran to the lookout at the top of the hill.  I had started calling this out spot when we were Freshman but I never told her.  She was standing there looking out over the twon below.  It was there she told me she was not going to college on the soocer scholarship.  She would have been an hour away from me.  She said she was going 2000 miles away and never coming back.  She said not to argue with her so I didn't.  My plan was to tell her I loved her.  Like I was in love with her.  After she said she was leaving, I knew she didn't feel the same. 

As I pull up to my house, I see Jensen pulling up also.  Hopefully Jensen can help me forget about Emery,. At least for a little while.

 At least for a little while

Adult Dominic

Teenage Jensen

Teenage Jensen

Adult Jensen