Chapter 4

"That better be the good stuff Dom. I know you can afford it", Jensen said walking into the den.

"Yeah, yeah. I hope you like 25 year sherry oak aged Whiskey. This bottle of Macallan would set you back about $2,600." I said pouring two glasses.

"Shit. You really spent more than my mortgage on one bottle of booze?"

I laughed as I watched Jensen. He looked too frightened to even smell the whiskey in his glass. "No. I didn't buy it. It was given to me by a corporate client after I did some work for them." I raised my glass toward Jensen.

"Well, then don't mind if I do!". We clinked our glasses together and went and sat in the comfortable leather chairs near the fireplace.

"How are Suzie and the girls?", I asked sincerely. Jensen married his college sweetheart. She is like a sister to me and I am the Godfather to his girls, Madison who is 16 and Stephanie who is 18.

"Suzie is planning Steph's graduation party. Madison failed her first attempt at getting her license. Practicing some more before she attempts it again. She is still dancing. Looking at schools with strong ballet programs. Both have way too many boys begging for their attention. Steph got early admission into UCLA. Thank God for scholarships. Medical school is gonna be expensive." I could tell that Jensen was beyond proud of his girls.

"Jens, I told you when they were born, I would take my responsibility as their Godfather seriously. If they need help with school then I will help." I had started an account for each of them already.

"Dom, Suz and I appreciate everything you do for them and they adore you. If we ever are unable to help them ourselves, you will be there first to know."

"Okay. I can respect that.". Jensen and Suzie were excellent parents. They were there for every dance recital, game, school event or whatever the girls were involved in.

"So is the Big D got anyone special in his life or are you still too single for your own good?. Jensen and Suzie had spent more time than they should trying to find someone for me after my marriage broke up five years ago. A marriage that was completely one sided on my part. Janet was after my money and money only. Good thing for pre-nups!

"No Jensen. Still single. Will probably always be single. Janet only prove to me that the majority of women only want you for what you can materialistically provide."

"Jesus Dom! Not every woman is Janet!" Jensen exclaimed.

"Okay Jensen. I know not every woman is like Emery.". As soon as I said it I realized my mistake. Maybe Jensen didn't hear me. I looked up and saw Jensen looking back at me with a shit eating grin on his face. "What are you going to say Jensen?". I want to crawl under a rock.

Jensen got up and refilled his glass. He slowly took a slip and walked back to his chair. He sat down and continued to look at me with that stupid fucking smile on his face.

"Fuck Jens! Say something please." I was almost begging at this point.

"Finally." Jensen said still smirking.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?". I was starting to get upset with my best friend, although I wasn't quite sure why.

"You know exactly what it means Dominic. You have been head over heals in love with Emery Evans since we were in 8th grade. I am just glad you finally admitted it."

"I didn't admit anything. She was my other best friend besides you. We were like The Three Musketeers in highschool. I will admit I was thinking about her earlier and it was just a slip of the tongue."

"Did you ever slip her the tongue back in highschool? We all wondered. There was no way a guy and a girl could be that close and not be doing something."

I had to control myself not to jump out of my seat and punch my best friend in the face. "Don't be disrespectful to Em like that. And no. Nothing ever happened between us. It would have ruined what we had.". At least that is what I have been telling myself all these years.

"Calm down Bestie. Em was my friend too. My memories of the 3 of us are some of my favorites. I only said that to see how you would react. You don't have to lie to me. I saw how you looked at her when you thought no one was watching. I know how heart broke you were when she left so suddenly and how when she became pregnant at 19 all you wanted to do was drive to California and steal her away. I also know that the last conversation you had with her almost broke you in two."

"How do you know about our last conversation?"

"Suzie was with you, remember? You think she didn't tell me about it?"

FLASHBACK 1996

I had been pacing in my dorm room for over an hour. Emery had called earlier in the week and told me see was pregnant and that asshat John was the father. I had heard him yelling at her a few times when we had been speaking on the phone. He once answered her phone when she was away and told me that she didn't need her high school friend to be part of her life anymore. Fuck did he know. I knew she would want this baby. I admired her for that. But I was afraid he would hurt her. I didn't know what to do or how to tell her. I would support her 100%. Hell, I would give up my football scholarship and move to California. Tell her I love her and raise this baby as my own.

My door suddenly opened and in walked in Jensen's girlfriend, Suzie. They had been dating over a year and she was the best thing to ever happen to the guy. I adored her like a sister.

"You look like shit Dom." Suzie said honestly. She is never one to mince words. I liked that about her.

I looked at her with tears starting to show in my eyes. She took one look at me and immediately embraced me in a warm hug. "This is about Emery isn't it.?". This girl knew things without you having to speak. She has "met" Emery over the phone and I knew they would be fast friends when they finally met.

I pulled away. "Yes. Suz, I can't stand back and watch her ruin her life."

She looked shocked. "You think if she has the baby she will ruin her life? Babies do not ruin anything."

"No, no, no. Em will be an incredible mother. She had the most awesome parents as an example. I am afraid if she stays with the father she will get hurt. I know he is verbally abusive because I have heard it myself. What if he escalates to something more?"

"How long have you two been friends Dom?"

"Since 8th Grade."

"Then I think you should tell her your concerns. Let her know you support her and will be there for her but you have been friends long enough that she should at least hear you out."

"Okay. I will."

Suzie walked over to the phone and picked it up.

"Now?"

"Yes now. I will stand on Jensen's side of the room for moral support."

I started dialing.

"Oh Dom, one more guestion?" Suzie asked.

"Sure."

"How long have you been in love with her?" Like I said she knows shit.

"Since 8th grade."

End of Flashback

Teenage Suzie