Chapter 8

Dominic went to his laptop on his desk. He sat down and searched for the article Suzie had sent.  Didn't take but a minute to find it.

It was posted in a very well known bridal magazine. Impressive Em.  Dom started ready with Jensen reading over his shoulder.

Journalist:  Hi Emery.  It is a delight to meet you.  The magazine was thrilled when you said yes to this interview and I have to be honest, if I  ever get married,  you would be my dream wedding planner.

Emery:  That is an incredibly sweet thing to say!  Your magazine is on top of the pile of journals we subscribe to each month!

Journalist: Let's start from the top.  How did you get started in event planning?  Is it true that fraternities and sororities had something to do with it?

Emery:  Without a doubt!  That is completely true.  I had a few friends in the Greek System in college and they were always trying to come up with new and unique ideas for things like Rush and Initiation and things like that.  I threw a few ideas out and the were a success.  Soon everyone was asking for my help.  It was a lot o fun because the ideas were limitless.  It was during an event I planned for a parents day that I got an offer to do an event outside of college.

Journalist :  Are any of the brothers or sisters you worked with still clients?

Emery :  As a matter of fact, yes!  As some of them opened their own business ,  they asked me to come on board as their in house event planner.  I did that for many years until I opened my own company. 

Journalist : Now opening your own company must have been hard.  You were in your mind 20's, a single mom.  I can't imagine.

Emery :  Yes it was hard.  But I had my sister's support in watching my son and my best friend from college was looking for a career change and suddenly I was in businnes for myself.

Journalist:  Your best friend being Blaine Sherman?

Emery : The one and only! 

Journalist: I have had the pleasure of meeting Blaine.  He is the type of person you just love instantly.

Emery:  I knew him five minutes and I knew I would have him in my live forever.

Journalist:  Do you feel Blaine is responsible for bringing in a large LGBTQ+ customer base in for you?

Emery:  Absolutely!  Although Blaine could bring anyone in and have them talked in to a full scale gala in seconds.  He just is that charismatic.  But yes,  as a member of the LGBTQ+ community himself,  he understand their needs and what they want.  LGBTQ+ wedding are now some of my favorite events to plan.  There is so much love and openings to ideas and working together. 

Journalist : How has been been by a single mom helped in your success?

Emery:  Charlie is an amazing son.  He made it easy for me to pursue my dreams.  I worked hard to provide him with a stable and happy home.  He is about to graduate with a degree in marketing and I couldn't be prouder.

Journalist: What inspires your ideas and creations?

Emery:  Keeping my eyes and ears open.  Really listening to what my clients want.  My family. My memories of my youth. Nature,  fantasy, the ocean,  I could go on forever on what inspires me.

Journalist:  Emery,  what would be your dream wedding?

Emery: Wow.  Can you believe that no one has ever asked me that?  I am not the type of woman who sits and dreams of her wedding day,  but I will say,  something small and intimate.  Outdoors,  somewhere over looking a beautiful view at dusk. Just him and I will only close friends and family.