Chapter 14: Run Away

Amelia's mouth was dry as she met the challenge in Preston's green eyes. If there was ever a time she should run away from him, this was it. And yet... She inclined her head in a barely perceptible nod. Something dark and dangerous glittered in his eyes, stirring the fluttering inside her abdomen once again.

"For a start," he mumbled as his knuckles dropped to the bare skin on her shoulder next to the collar line of her dress, "never allow a man this close to you. It is far too scandalous and allows him far too much freedom."

Using his fingertips, he trailed a path along the fabric of her dress, chasing gooseflesh across her chest. Reaching the opposite shoulder, he followed the line of her clavicles to return to his original position. Anticipation of his next move kept her grounded to the spot, unable to move, as he hesitated. Was he waiting for her to tell him to stop? She had no inclination to do so.

When she remained silent, he raised a dark eyebrow before leaning down. As his hot breath fanned her neck, she placed her palms against the flat surface of the door behind her to keep herself from reaching for him. His lips dragged across the sensitive spot below her ear, making her draw a sharp breath as the butterflies in her abdomen exploded in a flurry of fluttering wings.

Reaching the area where her neck met her shoulder, he kissed it, his warm lips against her skin sending tingles throughout her entire being.

"Definitely don't allow anyone to do this," he mumbled against her, and she had to bite her lower lip to keep silent when he continued lavishing her neck with hot kisses and gentle nibbles. When he teased her earlobe with his tongue, she couldn't hold back as a low moan wrenched free of her throat.

Preston pulled back slightly, drawing a deep breath.

"Bloody hell." The hoarse quality of his voice sent a pleasurable shiver down her spine to pool low in her abdomen.

The hand at her waist grabbed a fistful of fabric from her dress in a tight grip, as if he struggled to hold back. The possibility of that made her giddy. He might not be who she envisioned for a husband, but the thought of bringing a rake of his calibre to his knees was not without merit. She could admit to being vain enough to appreciate the idea of him unable to resist her.

"What else?" she asked quietly. "I need to know what to look out for."

A dark chuckle against her neck reverberated through her body. Lifting his head, Preston looked down at her. "Are you trying to break me, Amelia?"

"In what way?"

The corner of his mouth curved into a wry smile. "Every way."

She pursed her lips. "I haven't considered. If I'm honest, not much planning has gone into this."

"One would hope," he muttered, but there was an amused glint in his eyes.

When he did nothing, she shifted from one foot to the other. After another moment of nothing, she cleared her throat. "So, are you going to continue?"

His gaze swept over her, his eyes hooded. "I really ought to leave before we do something we regret."

She cocked her head to the side. "Are you regretting kissing me?"

With a groan, he dragged his hand through his dark hair. "Yes, and no."

"Oh." Why was she disappointed? She tapped her fingers against the door behind her as she tried to figure out her complicated feelings. She wanted Preston to kiss her. Wanted him to want to kiss her. Even if he was everything she should not want. "Did you not enjoy it?"

"Amelia, I absolutely enjoyed kissing you. Probably too much. But now that I've tasted you..." He cleared his throat. Shaking his head, he smiled wryly. "I don't want to stop. If I had never kissed you... I wouldn't know what I was missing."