Epilogue

Leighton House, Cumberland, England
August 5, 1812

Amelia turned her face towards the warm sun where she lay on a picnic blanket with her head in her husband's lap. Preston's fingers played with the hair at her temple, which was oddly relaxing. Her eyes drifted shut as she enjoyed the quiet afternoon on their country estate. The London Season had concluded, and what a season it had been.

A few eyebrows had been raised at their match—mostly because Adrian had accidentally let slip about Preston compromising her during a drunken outburst. While inconvenient, at least it had brought him and Preston back together as he had sheepishly come to apologise for creating the rumour.

At Richmond's behest, they had ignored the whispers, pretending as if it was nothing but malicious gossip. Their wedding had taken place after the customary waiting period while the banns were read. With Amelia being a duke's daughter, no one dared to question them. And if anyone had, she was fairly certain her oldest brother's scowl had quickly stymied their words.

A lavish wedding at the end of June had silenced even the most persistent of gossips as no one could question the love the bride and groom had for each other. In Adrian's words, it had been 'sickening' to watch them stare at each other through the ceremony.

"What are you thinking about?" Preston's smooth voice woke her from her daydreaming, and she opened an eye to peer at him

"Us," she admitted with a smile.

"Only good things, I hope." His fingers drifted from her temple down her face and neck to trace along the decolletage of her dress, making her breath hitch as heat filled her.

"The best." She closed her eyes again as his hand slipped under her dress and stays to cup her breast. Tingles of awareness spread from his touch, slowing her breathing.

"I'll be forever grateful that Pensington never fell for you," Preston mumbled against the sensitive skin on her neck.

"Yes." She struggled to collect her thoughts as he nibbled the spot below her ear. "It's all for the best. Someone else obviously had caught his interest already."

She could feel his smile against her. "Ah, yes. Miss—"

"Please stop manhandling my sister."

The miserable voice made them both jump. Amelia sat up and stared at her brother.

"Adrian," she said. "What are you doing here? We weren't expecting you."

He shrugged before sitting down on the picnic blanket opposite them and stealing a handful of grapes. "Too much attention on me back home with you gone. Mother is nagging a hole through my skull. Saying how I ought to find a wife and settle down. Or find some purpose in life. Join the army. Join the clergy." He groaned. "Can a man not enjoy a leisurely life of doing nothing in peace?"

"Get married," Preston suggested with a sly grin. Then he leaned over and pressed a kiss against Amelia's temple. "It's rather wonderful, I must say."

Adrian scoffed. "No, thank you."

"Then would you mind taking your miserable self elsewhere?" Preston said pointedly. "I was having a rather lovely time with my wife before you interrupted."

Amelia had to hide a smile behind her hand as her brother glared at her husband.

"Is this how you treat guests?"

"It is when they arrive uninvited."

"Fine." Adrian stood, and after brushing his riding breeches off, he sighed. "I will go inside. May I stay for dinner?"

"You may stay as long as you like," Amelia said with a smile. "It's half a day's ride home, so I would never send you away without at least one good night's rest."

He nodded. After a quick bow and the flash of a grin, he disappeared towards the manor house. Amelia leaned into Preston's embrace as she watched her brother's tall form walk across the lawn.

"Do you think we should have told him?"

She could feel Preston's lips curve into a smile against her cheek. "We'll tell him tonight at dinner."

His hand came up to rest on her stomach, the warmth of him heating her even through the layers of her dress. There was hardly a change yet, but as she had not bled since the night he thoroughly compromised her, there could be no doubt about her state.

"Do you think it will be a scandal once people count the weeks and realise the baby is born a month early?" She turned to Preston, but when she saw the love in his eyes, any worries she might have calmed instantly.

"There might be a slight murmur," he admitted. "But the child might simply be a little early, so nothing too bad. Besides," he added. "Your brothers would probably deal with anyone who dares to suggest you were anything but appropriate during our courtship."

"Me?" She giggled. "I was appropriateness personified."

Preston's dark chuckle reverberated through her as he pulled her onto his lap, her legs straddling his hips. "Is that so? I have the distinct memory of a certain young lady appearing in my library and asking me to compromise her."

Her eyes widened in feigned innocence. "I cannot imagine who would be so bold as to do something like that."

"Only someone amazing."

He pulled her head down for a passionate kiss that left her hot and heavy. When she pulled back, her breathing was laboured, and she looked up at the house, half-expecting to see Adrian in the window glaring at them.

"Let's go inside," she murmured. "I don't want my brother to come upon us again."

Preston nodded. Helping her up, he stood and took her hand in his. "Your brother is a dear friend, but he had better not keep interrupting our times together," he warned with a dark look.

"I'm sure he will find something else to occupy him with soon enough." She giggled as her husband pulled her along towards the house.

Life was practically perfect. Preston was practically perfect. She had spent so long looking for the right match when he had been right in front of her all along. All the things she had told herself she wanted—or didn't want—in a husband didn't matter. Because Preston was everything she needed. Everything she wanted. And she'd never been happier.

THE END

~~~~~~