#4

"Isn't this the second time iv lost to you, grandma?

We were both sitting outside in the sun and killing time by playing a few rounds of Shogi. Shogi is like chess, but with a Japanese twist. Growing up I used to hate the game, but had to come to terms with it since it was grandmas favorite.

"It's okay, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it sooner or later, anyway it's about time I head out.."

"Your words are oh-so comforting. Where are you going, by the way?"

Standing up from the mat, grandma gave me a quick look and said:

"The cafe isn't gonna run itself. I'm getting old now so might as well do something."

"Right.."

Watching her disappear into the house, I too started cleaning up after our game session and after got up to sit somewhere more comfortable. Making my way inside I passed the kitchen where gran was packing some stuff in her purse.

"How about you come over this evening? Kohana would be glad to see you I'm sure."

"Sure, that'd be nice. What time should I come?"

"Whenever you like, really I don't mind."

"I'll be there."

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

The kotatsu downstairs is probably my favorite place in the world. Nothing compares to lying under the covers while watching some random cartoon on tv. And that is just what I'm doing now, except iv added stuffing my face with spring rolls to the already very satisfying mix. But once again, I couldn't stay like that forever, especially when I promised grandma to stop by.

It took a great deal of effort to actually get back on my feet. Bending down I heard my back crack. Is this really what old age feels like?

Making my way to the kitchen to rinse the dirty dishes I looked out the living room window and saw a bike parked right outside the neighbors house. I'm not sure why it caught my attention all of a sudden, but it looked like the one my dad had when he was little, at least by the description of it.

After picking out a simple cropped shirt and jeans that were slightly too long for me I hopped on my bike and headed out of the house. I was a little early, considering that I wanted to be there at around 8 but ended leaving the house at 7:30, with the ride there only being about 15 minutes. So the only resonance thing to do is take the longer route.

I wasn't hungry, so I knew I'll decline any offer to go out for dinner that night with Kohana or anyone for that matter. Although I was looking forward to eating tonkatsu later on, all alone in my bedroom with a book.

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・

It was around 7:51 when I passed a stand with an older lady selling all sorts of used items. Books, headphones, statues, jewelry, mirrors. You name it, she had it. And I knew that this was my weak spot, so without any hesitation I stopped my bike right in front of her and started looking around. To be honest, nothing really caught my eye, although there was a book by a European author translated to Japanese which seemed like a good next read. Picking up the book I flipped it around and started reading the prologue. It was something about a woman traveling all across Europe just to see a guy she fell in love with years ago. Just as I was about to turn it around to look at the cover on closer detail, I was startled by a loud "BOO!" on my right.

Without realizing, I slapped whoever that was right in the face with the book I was holding. Just as I got my senses back, i finally processed who was standing in front of me, holding his cheek with his right hand while groaning slightly from the impact my book caused. Or rather my hand, the book just being the prop.

"Are you alright?! I'm so so sorry Yuzuru! Do you need some ice? We can go back home and ice it for you! Oh my god!" Was I rambling?

And this boy just smiled. A smile??":$;?;?;?

"I'm alright.. I was just on my way to your cafe."

"It's not technically mine.. I'm going there too actually."

"Really..?"

Oh no. He has already come up with a plan to get back at me.

"How about you give me a ride then? Maybe I'll forgive you." His gaze landed on my bike.

"Maybe? You have to after I use up my energy to carry your sweaty ass on the back of my bike thousands of kilometers away." I'm guessing he just came out of practice, since he was still carrying a sports bag and was wearing training clothes.

"Exaggerating much?"

"Nu-uh."

If the lady from behind the stand hadn't cleared her throat, I'm sure we would have continued bickering for the whole night.

"Ma'am, are you buying that?" She pointed at the book that I was still holding onto very tightly, like it's the last time I'll ever see it.

"Um.. sure." I handed her the money, thanked her for it and got onto my bike, Yuzuru still standing as still as ever.

"Get on before I change my mind."

"Yes ma'am." I'm sure he was mocking the seller.

He got onto the back of the bike and held me by my waist tightly, as if we weren't on a bike but rather some rocket.

"Why are you holding on so tightly? It's not like we're flying off to space on these two wheels.."

"Just go."

"Yes ma'am."

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・

After some time, Yuzuru started to relax, and even put his head on my shoulder.

"You never told me how old you were."

"We're not that close."

"What do you mean?! We even got matching bracelets.." he stretched out his hand but I kept my eyes straight.

"You could say I'm 14."

"We're the same age than."

"Sure."

The rest of the ride was quiet, us enjoying the warm evening in this warm city.

An:

Hello! The next chapter will be like a part 2 to this one, since I don't want this one to be too long.

Anyways, bye bye!