Chapter 2

I awoke to the calling of my name. Heavy French accents shouted my name joyfully. My men must have unveiled our exterior flags on the carriage to help the news spread that I was on my way to Court.  It pleased me to know that even though I wasn't their queen, they still graciously endured having me in their country. I could hear the little children chasing after the carriage. I opened the curtains to the back window directly behind me and smiled. Their little faces were smiling right back at me. I waved to them before letting the curtains fall.

        To be perfectly honest, I am not as self-indulgent as I may sound. Yes, I do enjoy hearing people shout my name with high spirits. That's only because I've heard people shout my father's name, Francis' father's name, and many other rulers' names with hatred on their tongues. I indulge in the people's love for me as a way to remind myself that I never want to hear my name shouted in hatred or despair.

                As we draw nearer to French Court, more people began to cheer. After all, it is the towns outside the palace that would be the most familiar with me, much to Catherine's disliking. I have always been one to amerce myself with the common people- I need to know how they work, feed their families, show their love, and how they feel about monarchs. I try to make a connection with everyone I meet. If you are a ruler, shouldn't you at least know who you are ruling?

                I hear my guards talk to the French soldiers and we are let in to the courtyard. I wait respectively for my driver to let me out. I can hear the murmuring of the expectantly well-dressed crowd outside. Our time in the French country side, gave the people of French Court plenty of time to make preparations for me and my men.

             As my name is announced, my driver opens my door and sticks out his hand. I take it as lightly as possible. I step out of the carriage with the smile I was taught to wear since I was a babe. The first person I make eye contact with is Catherine. My smile instantly becomes genuine as my eyes see Bash is here too. I walk much too slowly for my taste, darn stupid formalities. I reach Catherine and say, "Oh, Catherine, it has been far too long." I hug her, though I know I'm not supposed to. She accepts my embrace instead of pushing me away and replies, "It truly has, my dear."

          I squeeze Catherine's hand as I turn and walk to Bash. I'm grateful Catherine allowed him to be front and center for my arrival. He gives me his glowing smile and I forcefully pull him into a hug. He hugs me back respectively and laughs, "You always were one to give formalities a kick in the rear." I smile and say, "And you were always the handsome one. I see time has not taken that away." He laughs again and it makes my heart swell to have this natural friend with me after so much time apart.

         Catherine clears her throat and says, "Your Grace, I apologize on behalf of my son and daughter-in-law that circumstances made it unable for them to be here. I am glad to be the one to welcome you to Court and tell you that they will both be in attendance to the feat we hold in your honor tonight." I smile, turn out to the crowd, and say loudly, "People of French Court, I take no offense to your Graces' absences. I hope that my visit will only strengthen the alliance between our countries. French Court has always been like a second home to me. I thank you in advance for your hospitality and I thank you for this warm home coming despite this freezing weather."

         Many in the crowd laugh at my statement. I smile though it doesn't reach my eyes. The truth is I'm hurt that Francis isn't here to welcome me. I'm worried at the same time that he might not even want me here. Or that he's injured. So many thoughts run through my head as I walk side by side with Catherine toward the castle's entrance.