Chapter 8

Yay!!! I'm not dead! Here's y'all's update!!! Thank you SO SO SO very much for all the love and support!!!
I had been at court for a full week now. The tension between Mary and I was still thick, but luckily she and I had come to an unspoken agreement to stay away from each other. It was working so far, we only had to do formal acknowledgements. I was glad to have Francis back in good health to help me keep a clear head..... on most things.

The confusion between what to do was still a problem for Francis and myself. I knew I loved him, and he had told me he did. The truth was, I knew he loved Mary more.

Bash and I had talked about it. All he had to say was, "It'll all work out, but if you want Francis- not France- you're going to have to keep fighting for him. He may love Mary, but his love for you is growing stronger. Just give it time." It had helped ease my worries a little.

I hadn't seen much of Francis, besides his nightly visits. He was busy ruling a kingdom, as was I. My mother had started sending me minor political disputes to solve and return to her immediately. In all her messages, there was no, I love and miss you, Marg. I had sent her a message to my sisters sending my love and promising to be home in a month. I had also sent a message to Paris saying how I was glad to hear she and my mother hadn't killed each other- yet.

The second half of the week had been much calmer than the start. I was walking through the garden when I was met with two boys I hadn't yet said hello to.

"Why Prince Charles, is that you and Little Henry?" I asked bending down to their level and holding their ball in my hands.

"Margie!" He cheered as he rammed into me, knocking the ball out of my hands and me to the soft grass. Little Henry had finally made his way to Charles and I when he jumped on me too. I knew he couldn't possibly remembered me since he had been so young when I last saw him, so I instantly concluded he was following his elder brother's lead.

"Where have the two of you been?" I asked as I began walking, holding hands with both of them.

"We were in Spain with Charles's girlfriend," Little Henry says making a spitting noise as he said 'girlfriend.'

"Oh, is that so?" I asked looking at Charles.

"She's a play mate, but mother says I have to marry her." Charles makes a yucky face too.

"It's not all that bad being married," I say hoping my voice sounded even, even though I was talking to little kids; I didn't want them to know it still hurt to talk about my husband.

"I miss King Charles, but I don't want to get married like he did," Charles says. He opens his mouth to continue but is interrupted by my guards.

"Long live the King," they all say in unison.

"Long live the King," I say raising my hand to signify they may relax their stances.

"I don't want a girlfriend," Little Henry says.

"Neither do I," Charles agrees.

"You say that now, someday you'll want her to be more than a play mate," I say to both of the princes.

We had reached the shore line of the bay and I sat down with Charles sitting next to me playing with the shells, and Little Henry rested his head on my lap and spread out on my skirt. Charles was muttering about girlfriends and wives. I smiled as I took at this moment.

Once Little Henry began to stir around, I suggested we play ball. The boys smiled with delight. I sent one of my guards to get a picnic prepared and tell the Queen Mother where her kids are in case she gets worried.

We played for a while with an overcast that threatened to downpour at any moment. I was worried we wouldn't be able to have our picnic, but thankfully the sun began shining down on us as a few servants brought out our picnic. I smiled and thanked them before they could set it up. I helped the boys set it up and we began to eat by the shore of the bay. Once they had eaten they both took their place on my lap and sprawled out on my skirt.

I brushed some hair out of Charles' face so it wasn't blowing around when he breathed out. I smiled down at them and looked at the horizon. It was a gorgeous setting. I heard birds singing and I began absentmindedly humming along. The breeze that was gently blowing made it so the temperature was just right.

I heard footsteps behind me and turned expecting Billiford, but I was gladly surprised to see it was Francis.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw his smile and his eyes.

"How are you today, Queen Margareta?" He asked with a bow.

"Perfectly well, thank you. And what of you, King Francis?" I asked after bowing my head.

"Much better now," he said as he sat down next to me.

"Oh, and why is that, may I ask?" I said teasing him.

"I'm with my two wonderful brothers and I have the best view in France," he said looking from his brothers to the horizon, to me again.

"It is gorgeous out here, isn't it?" I ask taking in the beautiful landscape around me and the curls that came out around his crown.

"It is, but I was talking about you, Margareta," he said sincerely.

"Francis....." is all I could get out.

He leaned in closing his eyes as he got closer, but I put my hand up.

"Francis, someone could see," I said turning around, trying not to wake Little Henry and Charles on my lap.

"So you do worry about looks," he says as he takes off his crown and puts a hand through his curls.

"I do if they could dishonor me as a queen," I said. "I don't care about formalities, but I am a queen who can't be the King of France's whore."

"I know that," he said. "I would never let anyone call you that." He looked sincerely into my eyes.

"You can't guarantee that," I say looking into his eyes. "Francis, if we do anything and we get caught, the pope will never agree to an annulment." I look at my hands that are brushing Charles' hair.

Francis took my other hand and said, "I know. I just don't know how long I will have to wait for that day. France needs to show unity and control against England. We can't afford to change our alliance to Germany."

"France can't afford it, or Scotland can't afford it?" I ask taking away my hand.

"Margareta....." he said trying to get my hand back. I didn't let him. I knew he was looking at me to respond, but I wouldn't cave with my eyes or my voice. "Fine, Scotland." He waited for me to say something, I didn't. "I still love and care for her, Marge. I love you too. Please don't be upset by this."

I gave him access to my hand and squeezed his as it fell in place with mine. "I'm not upset with you. It just hurts to know you love someone else." I look into his eyes. I feel at home with him.

My mind briefly goes to an alternate reality where Francis and I are sitting right here. I have his arm around my shoulder. He's placing kissing down my neck as I brush the hair out of a little boy's and girl's faces. I feel happy in this image, just like I am now. I look at the kids on my lap again. I don't know them, but the boy looks like Francis and the girl reminds me of my little sisters.

I come back to reality and save that image in my heart and make a silent pray that someday that vision will come true.