Chapter 9

A/N: So I'm gonna try getting into Francis's head, bear with me. Enjoy!

Francis POV

After Charles and Little Henry woke up, Margareta and I played with them for a few more hours. Another picnic basket was brought out for us to have dinner. After dinner, Margareta and I took them back inside. When we reached the nursery, I thought we were just dropping them off with the nannies, but Little Henry thought differently.

"Margie, will you read to us," he said as he tugged on her skirt.

She smiled, picked him up, and said, "It would be my honor."

I watched as she tucked in Charles and Little Henry. She began reading one of their adventure books to them. They began drifting off, but I was enchanted by her voice. She leaned down and kissed Charles and Little Henry on the head; it was the most perfect scene to watch. The nannies curtsied as we left and Margareta spoke quietly to them when we reached the door.

"If they ask for me, don't be afraid to send for me. No matter how late. Do you understand?" She asked sternly, yet kindly all the same.

"Yes, your Grace," the curtsied again. We bowed our heads in response and left. As we walked from the nursery I remembered I hadn't seen John all day.

"Wait Margareta," I said as she began to turn the corner. "Would you accompany me to see my son?"

"Are you sure? I don't want to intrude on father- son bonding," she said, she sounded nervous.

"Nonsense. I want you to meet him and Lola has already granted you permission," I said hoping she wouldn't leave me.

"Okay," she said as she joined me to walk to my son's room.

We had spent over an hour playing with him, when Lola came in.

"Oh, I didn't realize you were coming, Margareta," she hastily said brushing her skirt.

"I hope it's alright," she says almost sounding worried. "Francis and I were just with Charles and Little Henry when he wanted to see the little Prince John."

"Of course it's alright," Lola says as she and Margareta share an embrace. Margareta gives John over to Lola. "So, was he good for you?"

"Yes. Oh he's so precious," Margareta gushes. "His little face is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Thank you for letting me meet him."

"I'm sorry I wasn't here to introduce the two of you," Lola says sincerely.

I cough and say, "Well, I think it's time, Margareta, for you to get some rest. You have a day of Nobles and packing ahead of you tomorrow." I couldn't believe she was leaving the day after tomorrow. I knew she was coming back, but a month without Margareta was unimaginable since I got her back.

"You're already leaving?" Lola asks. I suppose her and Margareta had really hit it off.

"Unfortunately yes," Margareta sounds sad too. "I have business that must be attended to in Germany."

"She'll be returning to French Court for King Charles's Festival," I say more for myself than for Lola's need to know. I hear her guards straighten and say, "Long live the King."

Margareta says it back and continues with the conversation, "Yes, your son's father is kind enough to invite me back." They share a laugh, we say goodbye to Lola and leave.

"So tomorrow we'll finalize the renewed treaty and then you'll have your feast tomorrow evening," Billiford says to Margareta as we stand in front of her door.

"Thank you, Billiford," she says with a smile. She leans in to give him a kiss on the cheek. "Goodnight, Billiford."

"Goodnight, Margareta," he says and returns to the guards.

Well, I will see for our meeting," I say and kiss her hand that is being held by my own.

She smiles and says, "See you tomorrow King Francis."

And with that I watch her go into her room. My guards and I begin walking to my quarters when I hear the door open and close. I turn around and am surprised to see Margareta's servant walking towards the servant quarters.

I walk towards her and say, "Wait."

She turns around and curtsies saying, "Yes, your Majesty?"

"Are you going to your quarters?" I ask her. She nods. "Why?"

"Her Grace likes to prepare herself for bed," she says. "I only come each night in case she ever changes her mind."

"Thank you for doing that," I love seeing someone take extra lengths to make Margareta happy.

"Good night," I say with smile.

"Good night, your Majesty," she says. She curtsies and waits for me to turn around before she does the same.

I walk to my quarters with a smile on my face. As I lay my head on my pillow, I'm still wearing that God damn smile from thinking about making me Margareta happy.

Margareta POV

It was the happiest day I had ever had at French Court. Being with the boys and Francis had been the most fun and the most relaxing moment of my life as Queen Margareta. I didn't even feel like Margareta, Queen of the Germans; I felt like Margareta, the girl who might one day be married to a boy named Francis.

As I thought about Francis, I went to bed with a smile on my face.

"Goodnight, Charles," I said giving him a kiss before turning to the candle by my bed and putting it out.

"Goodnight, my Love," he said as he positioned himself against my back.

I snuggled in next to him. I felt his hand go to my ever growing stomach. I loved knowing I was carrying his child. I loved going to bed each night in his arms. Charles made being Queen of Germany not sound as frightening. I may have loved my childhood friend, Francis, but I knew my love for Charles was true too.

I was thinking about names for our baby when I heard noises coming from the corridor. Charles awoke instantly and said, "Margareta get on the side of the bed now."

I did as he said. I was afraid. Was someone invading the castle, I asked myself. Charles quickly covered me in blankets, but I was able to see out of the tiniest of holes. I heard Charles get back into bed and I expect he acted like he was asleep.

Men barged into our room. I heard Charles shoot up and grab his sword that he kept by the bed. He was standing in front of the bed now.

"What are you doing here?" He asked to none of the men in particular. They were wearing French uniforms. "What do you want?"

"Your head," one of the men growled in a strong heavy accent. Four men came at Charles. I wanted to get up and do something. Call for help, anything but sit here and pray for my husband's safety. Charles was quickly overpowered. I heard my guards running up the corridor, but it was too late. I had looked right into Charles' eyes as he released his last breath.

I woke up shaking as I remembered every detail of that night. I missed Charles so much. He was my only friend I had had in Germany. The third annual reminder of that night was coming up soon, Charles's Festival. Against my will, I recalled the rest of that night that stuck with me.

The French animals left out the balcony. I slowly got out from my husband's make shift hiding place and walked to my husband's lifeless body. My guards came in.

"You're too late," I say emotionlessly. "They went out the window." I hear Billiford order men to the castle's perimeter. I know they won't catch them, these men had planned this. Billiford came and sat knelt beside me as I brushed my husband's hair.

"Your Majesty, we must get you and their Graces somewhere safe," he said quietly.

I had been worrying about the others when I had first heard the noise, but now I wondered if this was Henry's doing. I'd never make my accusations public, I was smarter than that.

Billiford gently pulled me away from Charles' body. I walked like the dead until I reached my door way. I grabbed my robe, tied the knot, and put on the face of queen.

I opened my eyes and shook my head and rubbed my hands together, as if I was still trying to get Charles's blood off my hands.

I got out of bed and told Billiford to take me to Francis's room, now.