Chapter 10

A/N: So I'm typing this while my mother is sitting right next to me, so not awkward at all. Ha ha ha... yeah it is.

Francis POV

I was awoken by the sound of my guards talking to Margareta's guards. I immediately jumped out of the bed and ran to the door. Please Lord, let her be alright, I silently prayed as I opened the door. The guards looked surprised to see me at the door way of my own chambers. I sought out the gaze of Billiford, he was blocking someone with his stance.

"What is it," I asked, not bothering to hide the worry in my voice. "Is Margareta- Queen Margareta-okay?"

"She's alright your Grace," Billiford says. "She's actually right here."

Billiford steps to the side and I see a frightened Margareta in just her sleeping garments and her robe. "Move out of the way," I told my guards, allowing Billiford and Margareta to come into my chambers.

I see my guard shift to come inside as well, but I won't allow it. "No, give us a moment, please."

He nods and steps back into his position and I shut the door. I start to walk to the fireplace where Billiford is draping a blanket around Margareta's shoulders. I take a seat on the lounger next to her and take her hand in mine.

"Margareta," I whisper to her. "What is it?" I look at her as she looks into the fire.

Without looking at me she says, "I had a nightmare..." I wait for her to finish. "About that night."

Charles's death. Of course, with us talking about his festival before going to bed must have had an extra effect on her. I try my best to comfort her. "The nightmare's over now." I pull her into my arms. "You don't have to be afraid anymore." I wanted her to know I would protect her.

"They're still out there, Francis," she whimpered. I just held her tighter, not making false hope. Most would have, but Margareta didn't work like that. She wanted to hear the truth, no matter how bitter.

I held her until she fell asleep then I carried her to my bed. I tucked her under the covers and kissed her forehead. I told Billiford, Margareta could stay in my room for the night and that I would be on the lounger next to the fire. I laid myself down and hoped for the day I could truly tell Mary and Margareta they were safe.

Margareta POV

I awoke in my room at French Court. I remembered going to Francis's chambers the previous night, but I knew Billiford would have had me put back into my own bed as soon as possible to prevent gossip. He had always taken such good care of me, just like all the important men in my life.

I finally got out of my bed and began my morning routine with Annette. After breakfast with Kenna, I went to my meeting with Francis, Mary, and their Nobles. Surprise, surprise, Louis of Conde was also there.

We began finalizing the trade route through the French country side that lead into Germany when Mary had a disagreement with it.

"How come we give you all this access to trade routes in France, yet our citizens still have to be ushered through yours?" She asked accusingly.

I looked at her and said, "Your Gra-"Francis cut me off.

"We are given security traveling into Germany's neighboring countries, I think it is a fair deal, my Queen." He says sternly looking at Mary.

"I think Queen Mary is right, dear cousin," Conde pipes out.

"And who gave you permission to be in here, Prince Conde?" I asked not bothering to hide my distaste when I said his name.

"Prince Conde is a loyal ally to France and Scotland," Mary says in a matter of fact tone.

"Well, that's brilliant," I say with a fake smile. "I'm a loyal ally to France, I don't need a Bourbon prince negotiating my treaties."

"Cousin, I think her Grace is right," Francis says. "Perhaps you should await for our private council."

"King Fra-"Mary starts, but is cut off by Francis holding up his hand.

"No, my Queen," he says calmly. "Now, Cousin, please go." Francis gestures to the doors.

Louis bows his head to all three of us and says, "Of course, your Graces." He sounds a little upset, but leaves nonetheless.

I try to hide my smile as I see Mary shoot a scowl at me. We continue our alliance negotiations and soon enough we are signing the renewed treaty between France and Germany. Mary walks over to me as Francis begins excusing the Nobles.

"Perhaps when you return we can discuss an alliance between Germany and Scotland," she says with a fake smile.

"Perhaps," I say with just as fake of a smile.

"Well," Mary says clapping her hands as Francis shuts the door. "I must be going, see you at the feast tonight, Queen Margareta." She walks over to Francis and kissing him. It has no affect on me until I see Francis reciprocate. I look away trying to push the tears back down before they have a chance to come out.

Mary smiles back at me and leaves. Francis looks joyful. He meets my gaze, shakes his head, and opens his mouth to say something. I beat him to it.

"I have to go pack," I say, ignoring the sound of my tear strained throat. I walk quickly past him and out the door.

In the hall I hear Mary laughing with Conde, I try to ignore them, but I already heard them say my name. I clench my fist and keep speed walking till I'm met with my guards. I quickly tell them to block me from behind, they do as they're told just as I hear the same door I just came out of close. I begin walking to my chambers.

"Queen Margareta," I hear Francis yell. "Wait! Please!"

I don't obey and keep walking with a purpose; to get around that corner.

I round the corner and remove my shoes and run to my chambers. Once I shut my door, I let the tears fall. Maybe he'll never move on.

I wipe my face and see an envelope near my door. I pick it up and see the Royal English crest stamped on it. Elizabeth.

Dun dun duhhhhhhhhn!

Since I wrote all of this almost 2 years ago, I'm editing some things on Wattpad that my 8th grade self never noticed on fan fiction.net