Chapter 11

A/N: I'M NOT DEAD! A year or so later and I'm finally going to continue this story! (Please read my author's note at the bottom) :)

Francis POV

I reached Margareta's door, but Billiford pushed me back. Just as I was about to demand he move, the door opened. In the door way stood a very distraught and red eyed Margareta. She opened her mouth to say something to Billiford when her eyes found me standing behind him."What is it, King Francis?" She asks moving her hands to rest behind her back. Was she trying to hide the letter, I shook my head trying to focus on what Margareta just said.

"I wanted to know if you were all right, your Grace," I said just as formally as she had.

"Why shouldn't I be? I'm leaving France tomorrow, its pure music to my ears," she says with a fake smile, but I see the pain in her eyes.

"Margareta...." I whisper, knowing the servants won't hear me. "Please, let us talk about it."

She looks at me for a moment, then nods to Billiford to let me pass. I walk past Billiford and follow Margareta into her chambers. I walk until I've reached the fire place. Once there, I turn around to speak but I close my mouth. I notice Margareta putting a sealed envelope onto the bed, the same one she had hid from my view outside. I mentally note to ask after we talk about what Mary had just done.

"Mar-"She cuts me off.

"Francis, don't, don't try and tell me you don't still have feelings for Mary. I won't believe you," she says and her voice cracks again. Her eyes look as though they have cracked too. I can't believe I took away the light that empowered those eyes.

"I won't say that, because you're right," she tries to conceal her sob. I continue, "Margareta, please listen to me. I love you, which is true, but I'm still in love with Mary."

This time she wipes away the silent tears and asks, "Were you lying when you said you were falling in love with me?"

"I wanted it to be true," she sits down and sobs quietly. I lean down and take her hands in my own. "I wanted it to be true, so desperately. Not just so my heart would stop hurting, but so I could be happy with you. So I could have a good life, with you, but I can't."

She doesn't react as I wrap my arm around her. She just stares out the window. I can't have things end like this, she has to come back. I need to end this emotional confusion.

"Margareta," she turns to look at me. "I'm sorry it took Mary hurting you for me to realize I'm not over her. I'm sorry I lied to you, but I truly do love you. Margie, I need you to come back to me, please." I look into her eyes trying to find a sign.

"I love you too," she says with her voice almost back to normal. "Francis, will you come back tonight?" I nod my head. "I understand just wanting to be friends again, but I still find your touch comforting and I fear I'll need that when I see my mother again." She cracks a sad smile.

"Of course," I say returning the smile and giving her a gentle squeeze.

I leave after an hour, but promise to come back that evening. I'm off to tell Mary that I'm done with Margareta, but the way she treated Margareta will not be forgotten.

Margareta POV

Once Francis left, I didn't move for quite a while. Then I remembered the letter awaiting me on my bed. I stood up and made the walk to the possibly deadly letter. I looked at the seal again before opening it carefully. It was from Elizabeth, which was confirmed by her signature at the bottom of the page. The letter read:

Margareta,

I know you and Francis are close, but think strategically here. I can provide safety through my heart and my army. Francis can only protect you if you are on his good side. What if Mary turns him against you? Think Margareta! When I met you, I thought we had a real future of being the most powerful alliance this world has ever seen. Don't let that be just a dream, when it can be our reality.

Come to England. Bring Paris, I think she would love London. Please consider it, Cousin.

I miss you,

Elizabeth

I missed her too, but what she was asking of me would be dangerous. My people were close to the French. How would they react to hear I went against our alliance with France to make one with their enemy; England? But I couldn't just throw away this deal, Elizabeth had the strength to rule over half of England. I didn't want my country under that half, but I knew if she went after it, France would be in that half.

What do I do, I asked myself. I go to England and pray Francis forgives me. I throw the letter and the envelope into the fire and go retrieve servants to help me pack.

Francis POV

I walk right past the bowing guard into Mary's chambers. She and Lola are laughing at something. The guard finally runs into the room and says, "His majesty King Francis." Mary nods her head and Lola bows. I dismiss the guard and walk over to Mary and Lola.

"There is nothing going on between me and Margareta, so why did you have to do that?!" I ask getting straight to the point.

Lola looks confused as Mary's smile turns into mock hurt. "I can't believe you think I would ever try to hurt Margareta. She and I have become such friends."

"I never did anything with her, but you knew how she felt about me so you used me to hurt her!" She stops acting knowing there's nothing else she can say.

Lola is the one to break the silence. "Francis, what're you talking about?"

I look at her and say, "Your Queen, hurt my best friend by kissing me and making me think she still loves me."

Lola looks at Mary with a hint of anger, "You were just talking about how sweet Conde is, after you kissed our friend, our King?! I can't believe you would do this to Margareta and Francis."

Mary looks at Lola and says, "I'll eplain my actions to you later, but please allow me to talk to my husband alone."

Lola bows and walks out. I look at Mary. "What do you want now?"

"Francis," she says sincerely. "My feelings are still very confusing to me, but what I could feel dominantly was anger when I saw you and Margareta together. I don't know if this means I'm still in love with you, but I know it means that I do not appreciate having her here. Especially when we are having problems."

"Problems," I look at her questioningly and laugh. "Problems? You are sleeping with my cousin!"

She has tears in her eyes, they match mine. "And I'm sorry that it hurts you."

"Then why won't you let me be happy with Margareta," I say. "As my friend."

"I don't know," she says. I give up and walk out.

God damn it, why do am I in love with the woman who only hurts me?

A/N: So this chapter was originally written three years ago, as was the rest of the story. I started this story as I was entering high school, and now I'm a senior. I've changed so much, and I have a lot of different ideas now that I'm revisiting this story. I apologize if the change in writing style will upset anyone, but I want to thank you all for reading and commenting on my story all these years. Whether you started this journey with me three years ago on Fanfiction.net or you're reading it for the first time, thank you!