9

Tuesday night was the first basketball game of the season. 

Well, it wasn't an official game but I still had to cheer at it.

My mind kept going back to Hayden's snarky comment from a couple of weeks ago I can't wait to see you cheer for me. I knew not to take anything he said seriously but I almost didn't want to go.

I was tired from college applications, cheer, and school. All I wanted to do was go home, but no I had to go to a basketball game.

"You look tired." Hannah commented as I walked into the locker room.

"Gee, thanks." I put my stuff down on the bench. 

Hannah started to brush her auburn hair into a ponytail. "I didn't mean it like that. I know you have a lot on your plate. Are you even sleeping?"

"Not much these days but I don't have anything planned this weekend so I'll catch up then." I responded. 

I did my hair and makeup, put on my cheer uniform, and warmed up with my team. Trinity was playing a scrimmage against Wake high which was kind of funny.

I knew Hayden played basketball but I didn't know he played basketball. When he told me he had an off from UT, I never pictured him being SEC material.

After all, he was a tall white guy that had somewhat of a fashion sense. 

He only missed one basket all night which was pretty impressive for a guy that played most of the game. 

"You were totally staring at Mr Brooks." Bria said in a hush-hush tone as we put on sweats over our unforms.

I could feel my eyes bulge out of my head. "Not in that way! I just didn't know he was that good at basketball."

Bria nodded. "I heard there was a Duke scout here tonight. Can you still give me a ride home?"

Her car was in the shop since her tires were attracted to nails. "We live in the same subdivision. Of course, I can."

"Cool, I have to go get something out of my locker, but I'll meet you outside. I'll be quick!" Bria walked out of the locker room.

I walked out of the locker room and stood outside of the building to wait for Bria. The parking lot wasn't super quiet or low traffic. 

People were walking back to their cars after going to the scrimmage. 

Damn, maybe I should've spoken to Jonah before I walked out of the gym. I was just so damn tired.

I heard people talking and the voices got closer and closer. 

"Why are you following me?" a voice asked

I peeked around the corner to see Hayden Brooks being followed by a man that was an inch or two shorter than him. He had dark hair and he was wearing a full-on suit.

"I can't congratulate my son on winning his senior year scrimmage?" the man - well his dad - asked him.

Hayden turned around. "No! Dad, you can't pick and choose when you want to be there for me. You're only there for the highs and never the lows."

"I don't fucking need you. I never needed you. You don't get to show up for me when it's convenient for you. I needed you my entire life and you were never there. Fuck you." 

I felt a hand touch my shoulder.

I turned around to see Jonah. His hair looked like it'd been freshly cut and he smelt like sweat, but that was to be expected.

"Yeah, you don't wanna be caught up in that." he referred to Hayden and his dad.

"Hey." I gave him a hug. "Headed home?"

He nodded his head. "Yeah, I'm pretty tired."

"I understand completely." I responded.

"What are you doing out here other than eavesdropping?" Jonah questioned me.

I let out a small laugh. "I'm waiting on my friend. I'm giving her a ride home."

"Ahh, gotcha." he yawned. "We should hang out this weekend though."

"I'll check my schedule." I looked him in the eyes.

He playfully shook his head. "Yeah, yeah. I'll see you later." 

Jonah thought I was joking, but I was feeling painfully introverted this weekend.

I ended up walking to my car because Bri was taking forever and my legs were tired. I stopped in front of that black Mustang and knocked on the window.

Hayden looked at me and reluctantly rolled the window down.

"What?" he questioned me.

I don't know why I felt so much sympathy towards him. It was fucking Hayden Brooks and I felt bad for him? 

"Are you good?" I asked him

Hayden rolled his eyes. "Is this some kind of joke Carroway?  I really don't need your fucking snarky comments right now." 

It was silent.

We were never going to be friends. I don't even know why I tried.

"That was a genuine question, but whatever Hayden." I said to him before I walked away.

I sat in my car for five minutes before Bri got home.

We drove to our houses, I got ready for bed, and said fuck the homework to go to sleep. I deserved it.

I ended up staying after school on Wednesday to work on planning senior activities for the year. Even though I was ready to move on with life, I wanted to savor every moment of senior year. Everyone was going to end up at different colleges and go down different paths. There was a lot to look forward to.

The bell chimed and I looked up to see Hayden.

"Whatcha working on?" he handed me an envelope. "My senior fees."

"Thanks." I took it from him. "But just an itinerary for senior retreat."

"When is that?" he asked me.

I looked at my outline for the year. "First weekend in February."

"Do you need any help?" he offered.

I just stared at him. 

There was no snarkiness on his face. 

"Uh, you can put together a list of hotels or retreat areas within a fifty-mile radius from school." I answered.

Hayden walked behind the desk and sat down at the computer. We worked quietly for fifteen minutes with just the sounds of the clicking keys on the keyboard.

"Why are you helping me?" I looked up from my laptop.

"I'm chair of events for the senior class." he shot back.

That is not the sole reason why he's here right now.

"Is it that or do you want to know how much I heard last night?" I got to the elephant in the room.

Hayden turned to face me. "Well, how much did you hear?"

I glanced over at him. "To the point where you said 'fuck you.'"

He had a blank look on his face.

"It's none of my business anyway and I won't tell anyone," I assured him. 

"Ok." he turned to face his computer. 

Another fifteen minutes went by of pure silence. 

"You probably thought I was a terrible person before but you probably think I'm fucking satan for talking to my dad like that." I heard him speak.

I just shook my head. 

"We're both sitting in the office doing something we could do at our houses. I think you and I have more similarities than we would both care to admit." I responded. 

And we didn't say anything else after that.