18

If you told me five years ago that Hayden Brooks would be playing such a large role in my debut to society, I would've thought that he did something detrimental like rip my dress or trip me.

No.

It wasn't like that at all.

Here I was sitting in front of his house, waiting for him to come outside so we could go to our first dance practice. 

I watched him walk out in a white button-down, navy dress pants, and dress shoes. He looked so put together. Hayden's hair was brushed, he wasn't in his usual basketball clothes or casual clothes. 

He looked really good.

Oh my gosh, I couldn't believe that he was making my heart speed up.

"Hi Rowie B." he greeted me as he got in my car. "You look cute and put together."

Rowie B. I hated that I liked that nickname. 

"Thank you." I looked down at my dress.

It was a powder pink mini dress that had an embellished trim at the neck and waistline. The short puffed sleeves added a good final touch. I had the perfect pink trench coat to match since it was still a little cold outside. Plus it went well with the white satin heels I planned on wearing the night of my debut.

 Plus it went well with the white satin heels I planned on wearing the night of my debut

Wait, he called me cute.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I complimented him back as I reversed out of his driveway. 

"Hmm." Hayden hummed. "You don't like the sweaty Hayden? I don't know I think I look good when I'm all sweaty on the court and you're cheering me on."

I let out a small laugh. "I like both versions of Hayden."

"That's good to hear." he responded.

I couldn't look over at his face because I knew he would be doing that stupid little smirk. 

"Are you excited about the senior retreat?" I made conversation.

On Wednesday night, all the Trinity Academy seniors were going to an overnight retreat in the city over. We were literally going to be in the middle of nowhere until Thursday night. It was a time to grow closer to our classmates and to God.

My siblings always raved about senior retreat so I was actually excited about having no phone for about thirty hours.

"You know, I actually am," Hayden responded. "I heard that you're giving a speech and everything."

I nodded my head. "That's true. It's a student body president tradition after all."

"I know the school year isn't over yet, but you've done a really good job at being president, Ro. You're approachable, you give people resources, plan good events, I think you're one of those people that was born to be a lawyer." Hayden said to me.