13

It was officially December, so high school basketball season was in full swing. Basketball season meant I spent most of my days cheering them on in our school's gym.

To be honest, I didn't feel like much of a cheerleader after the last football game. We got to wear sashes that read senior and our parents got to take pictures with us on the field at halftime. 

Being a senior in high school was weird. I didn't know what was next, but I knew life would be different. Who would be in my life ten years from now? What would I look like in ten years? I had so many questions and thoughts. 

I watched as Hayden ran up and down the court with the ball.

Ever since our run-in at the park, I looked at him differently. I wasn't in love with him or anything, but maybe I did hold a grudge against him for a dumbass reason. 

We never really talked about the park, but he would speak to me in the hallway and he was less snarky. It was weird, but it was also nice. 

Was it nice? I didn't know yet.

"Are you coming to my party tonight?" Hannah asked as we cheered. 

I frowned. "It's Thursday?"

"Ro, we don't have school tomorrow. It's teacher work day or something." she reminded me. "Please come! I even convinced your boo-thing to come."

That must have been the get-together that Jonah was talking about. 

"Do your parents ever get tired of you having people over?" I wondered.

She shrugged. "They're in Hilton Head visiting my grandma until Sunday night so they never have to know about this. Please, Rowan! We need these senior memories."

I sighed. "Fine. I'll go to your party."

"Thank you." she grinned. 

We cheered, Trinity won by 16 points, and I headed home to get ready for a "sleepover" at least that's what I told my parents. 

Funny thing was that Jonah was picking me up from my house.

I was happy that they had to go to whatever dinner party they had tonight. 

I decided on wearing a simple black long-sleeve crop top with jeans and some panda dunks. It was a simple but effective outfit. 

My hair was brushed into a low, sleek bun with chunky gold hoops that I was borrowing from my mom's jewelry collection.

When I got that I'm here text, I grabbed my jacket and headed downstairs. Jonah drove a Lexus coupe which suited him. 

The interior reeked of black ice and the vape in the cup-holder sealed the deal. 

Teenage boys, I swear.

"You look nice." Jonah complimented me as I put on my seatbelt.

I reached over the glovebox to give him an awkward, constricting side hug. I told myself I would make it up to him once we got out of the car. "Thank you!"

"I feel like Hannah has one of these almost every other weekend." Jonah pointed out.

"You're telling me. I didn't even know that this one was happening until two hours ago." I brushed it off.

He nodded. "She is very spontaneous."

I had to disagree there. Hannah wanted to come off as spontaneous, but she was a very calculated person. My dad and Sloane taught me how to recognize that in people. 

There was some kind of motive here. I just didn't know what it was quite yet. I also didn't plan on inviting Jonah into my thought process. 

"How long do you wanna hang at the party?" Jonah asked me as he drove.