Measure of a man

"No, no, no. Absolutely not! I forbid it!"

Severus Snape rolled his eyes, tuning out Minerva McGonagall as she hysterically ranted at the headmaster for even entertaining the notion of allowing a young Harry Potter to spend time under Snape's care in the dungeons. At present, the three teachers were huddled together, whispering furiously while they watched Madame Pomphrey examine Harry. It did not escape Severus' notice that every time Pomphrey administered a new potion to Harry the boy would look at him and wait for his nod before obediently downing the contents. Albus caught this reaction as well, which led to him murmuring the possibility out loud in the first place.

His eyes narrowed, watching the boy as he sat quietly and perfectly still on the bed. Harry wasn't like most disgusting children his age. There was a sense of alertness around him, an awareness of his surroundings that seemed somewhat incongruent for a child of five. The way Harry's eyes tracked every move Madame Pomphrey made, only flicking his attention to the closed doors of the wing, where the Slytherin children had been banished, when the healer had her back turned to him. Harry had not said a word of protest when Madame Pomphrey had ordered the kids out. He'd tensed slightly, looking like he was preparing to bolt with them, until Draco told him they would be waiting right outside.

"…just a boy! Needs the comfort and familiarity of routine…"

Snape sighed, wishing Dumbledore would just announce his decision instead of allowing the infuriating old woman to ramble on. He shook his head almost imperceptibly at Harry, relieved when the boy refused the orange potion the healer was trying to press upon him. Without being able to test Harry properly and analyze what components of potions were swimming in his system, Snape did not want him consuming anything that may alter his weakened frame. Tired of the altercation to his left, he jerked his head at Harry before turning back to the professors.

"Get to the point Headmaster." He smoothly spoke over Minerva, ignoring her gasp of outrage. He gestured to the silent boy that had materialized by his side. "Harry is tired and needs his rest."

Dumbledore looked down at Harry, blue eyes twinkling brightly. "Well Harry, I know this has been a long and confusing day for you. I apologize for keeping you in the Hospital Wing all day, but I needed reassurance of your physical well being before we could properly take care of you. How are you feeling now?"

Harry regarded the headmaster silently, the green in his eyes deepening. "Why did I need to drink so many potions?" Snape smirked at Harry's skillful evasion of Dumbledore's question. He rather liked this cute and cautious little boy.

Madame Pomphrey spoke up as she bustled over with yet another potion. "You were slightly malnourished young man, and had to drink four different restorative potions before your magical signature perked up. Then you needed the basic immunization draughts, as a scan showed you had not received any before." She started to move closer to Harry, stopping with a troubled frown as he instinctively stepped closer to Snape. Still not touching the adult, but now within arms reach. Snape and Dumbledore exchanged a poignant look.

Collecting herself, Pomphrey continued. "Before lunch I had you take a calming draught as well as an appetite enhancer." She smiled kindly down at Harry. "Such a serious little man." Harry gave her the ghost of a smile, making no move to get closer to the healer. Pomphrey sighed, distressed that any child would feel wary in her presence. "A couple nourishing potions, another appetite enhancer and you were good through dinner. Now that you've eaten, you're free to go; although I do need to see you tomorrow to measure your weight gain."

Harry nodded. "Yes, ma'am." He turned back to Dumbledore. "Why can't I go with Professor Snape?"

Dumbledore looked down on Harry with a contemplative expression. "Here is my dilemma, Harry. We do not know when you will regain your sixteen year old body, and I want you to be in comfortable and familiar surroundings when the change occurs." Harry waited, not saying a word, his expression neutral. "For now, Harry, you will remain in Gryffindor tower with your peers overnight. Professor McGonagall will be available for any questions or fears you may have." Harry had tensed up, moving fractionally closer to Snape, unable to vocalize the plea not to be abandoned by the man Sasha had assured him would help.