Warmth

"You can't stay there overnight!"

Hermione glared, shoving her damp curls out of her face. "Watch me."

Ron looked utterly flabbergasted. "But, Hermione… you just can't – they're Slytherins. It's not safe!"

She gestured to the chair where Draco sat holding a clinging little boy. "I can't leave him tonight, Ron," she said fiercely. "Not after this. I need to be there in case he wakes up scared."

"Then bring him back to the Gryffindor common room! We'll take care of him better!"

It was the wrong thing to say. Emotions were heightened, nerves were on edge, and the Slytherins were smart enough to catch the implied insult. "Weasley," Draco began in an icily polite tone of voice. "You do realize you are standing unarmed, in a bathroom, with no teachers around, surrounded by people you openly admit fearing?"

The red head looked around, taking a cautious half step in retreat. Pansy was standing next to Draco, absently rubbing circles on Harry's shaking back. Greg and Vince were standing between the spot where Ron was fighting with Hermione and where the two teens sat soothing Harry. Their stances looked relaxed, but their eyes were alert; like it would take but a word for them to jump him. Blaise was standing behind Hermione, making no move to hide his hostility. Hermione sighed, holding up her hands as though separating invisible opponents. "Look, I know we all need to talk, but I don't think we should talk tonight." She looked over at Harry's small body, relieved to see his grip on Draco loosening as his body relaxed. She took a calming breath. "Let's not say anything about this situation to anyone. We'll meet up tomorrow and talk then. When we're calmer and have had a bit of sleep."

"Very Slytherin-esque logic," Pansy said approvingly. "Covers your back and let's you maintain a semblance of control over an uncontrollable environment." She smirked at Hermione, shaking her head. "Only hanging around us for two days and already you're thinking smarter."

"Hermione is really smart," Vince piped up. Greg smiled brightly in agreement and nodded earnestly by his side.

"Thank you guys," Hermione smiled weakly. She turned back to Ron, feeling her heart twitch at his conflicted expression. Without thought she reached out and patted his arm, giving him a sickly smile as he raised his head and looked at her. "Ron," she said gently, "I know this wasn't your fault." She took a deep breath, forcing herself to continue. "However, you have to learn to think before you act or speak."

"Think!" he exploded; not noticing the way Harry flinched and tightened his hold on Draco. "I think! I was just going to…"

"I know," she said hastily, wanting to soothe. "I know you do. But when it comes to Harry…" she gestured helplessly to the now quietly crying boy, cringing as she watched Ron's face fall as realization dawned. "When it comes to Harry you stop thinking. You… you…. I don't know. You feel threatened and get jealous and make rash impulsive decisions without thought to reactions or consequences."

Draco snorted, smoothly rising to his feet. "Doesn't take much for Weasley to forget to think." He frowned when Pansy elbowed him in the side, sighing as he understood the implications behind her warning look. He turned to Hermione. "Granger, I'm taking Harry back to our room. Vince, Greg; stay with her and escort her back safely. No," he turned to Blaise, answering his unspoken protest. "Greg and Vince will stay. You're too," he glanced meaningfully over to where Hermione stood next to Ron, "personally invested in this argument. You're coming with us."

Pansy walked over to Blaise, gripping his arm in a vice-like grip and smiling her disturbingly sweet smile. "Come along darling. Draco's distracted. We need a strong handsome escort to make sure we get home safely." Draco scowled at Pansy, tightening his hold on Harry. Blaise gave an oddly reluctant look at Hermione, but tripped along after Pansy as she hauled him out the door.