The consequences of solutions

The snowy white owl flew gracefully through the doors of the Dining Hall and landed gently before Harry; offering a welcoming hoot before sticking out its leg. The little boy dropped his fork, forgetting about his breakfast momentarily as he stared between the owl before him and the parrot perched on his shoulder in bewilderment. He turned to the teacher sitting at his side. "I have an owl?"

"Correct," Professor Snape answered, reaching across the table to remove the letter tied to Hedwig's leg. "Her name is Hedwig." Harry looked awed by this information, tentatively reaching out his hand to touch the soft feathers on her head. Snape tapped the parchment with his wand, checking for curses, before unfurling the letter and swiftly reading the contents. He spoke absently. "Her name literally means 'battle' and 'fight.' You have a very loyal companion with her." A rolling of eyes was the only outward expression of the letter's contents.

"Hi Hedwig," Harry greeted softly. He giggled, enthralled, when the owl gave an indignant hoot towards the parrot on his shoulder before bending forward and stealing bacon off of his plate. Harry gave his teacher an anxious look, clearly uncertain whether or not he would get in trouble for the commotion.

"She's merely announcing her claim over you to the ridiculous bird on your shoulder." He smirked. "Perhaps you should allow your owl to battle with the parrot for a claim to dominancy."

"Severus!" Professor McGonagall snapped, clearly unimpressed as the parrot in question gave off a loud serious of anxious sounding squawks.

Eyebrows lifted disdainfully. "Merely a suggestion, I assure you." He winked at the little boy, satisfied when the nervous expression vanished from bright green eyes and he smiled back. Snape glared at the Scarlet Macaw clinging to Harry's shoulder. "Ten points from Gryffindor, Mr. Weasley, for failing to conduct yourself with decorum during breakfast." The parrot grumbled quietly, snapping his wings mutinously. Harry giggled again - Snape narrowed his eyes. "A further five points for not knowing when to keep your mouth shut." The Scarlet Macaw's head drooped. Satisfied, Snape turned away.

"Who was Mr. Potter's letter from?" Professor McGonagall questioned.

"A blight on the face of humanity."

Filius Flitwick grinned, well accustomed to the Potions Master's sense of… humor. "How is Remus?" he enthused.

"Who's Remus?" Harry questioned. Hedwig gave Ron a dirty look. The parrot nervously jumped from Harry's shoulder to the back of the Headmaster's chair. Harry didn't notice. He looked at Snape inquiringly, continuing to pet his now cooing owl

"Alive," Snape answered Flitwick. He turned to Harry. "Your babysitter."

Harry's shoulders drooped. "Like Mrs. Figg?" He made a face. "Does he like cats, too?" he asked glumly.

Professor Snape didn't even try to prevent the smirk from crossing his face. "Not likely," he deadpanned. He turned to the Headmaster, answering the unspoken question as to why an Order member would be mailing missives that could be easily intercepted. "Apparently, the arrogant whelp agreed to write a placating letter of sorts; indicating he had successfully managed not to get himself killed during the first week of school." He shrugged, unconcernedly cutting Harry's pancakes into small bites. "The mutt was concerned."

"Mutt?" Harry perked up. "Does he have a dog?"

Snape snorted. "I'm sure he did," he muttered under his breath. He ignored Harry's question, giving the boy a pointed look until he obediently picked up his fork and resumed eating. Turning to the Gryffindor table, he jerked his head slightly. Not a moment later Hermione arrived; picking up Harry and sliding into his seat before resettling the little boy on her lap. He tossed her the note. "Respond to this letter and I will assign Gryffindor two points." Hermione accepted the letter, puzzled, but smiled once she recognized the signature.