How do you measure a man?

"What kind of name is Nagini, anyways?"

Lucius looked into the curious face and smirked. "A female naga is called Nagini."

Harry's brow crinkled in confusion. "A what?"

"Really," he drawled out sarcastically. "What are they teaching in that school these days?" Lucius forced himself to concentrate on the conversation at hand and not fidget at the Dark Lord's continued absence. "No matter what you do in life, Harry, it is very important to understand and appreciate ones history." He waited until the small head nodded acquiescence before continuing. "A naga is a race of supernatural beings, usually depicted with both snake and human attributes."

Harry looked thoughtful, petting Nagini as he mulled this information over. "Supernatural? Like witches and wizards and dragons and castles and stuff?" Lucius inclined his head in agreement. "So, basically, Nagini is smarter than that Voldemort person because she can think like a snake and a person? Is that why he keeps her alone? So people don't realize she's smarter than them and take her away? Or is he trying to become smart like Nagini is?"

Lucius Malfoy hated to find himself at a disadvantage. One would think interrogating a ten year old boy, even one as annoying as Harry Potter had proven himself to be time and time again, would be a simple matter of persuasion and coercion. However, sitting here, talking with young Mr. Potter, while Nagini curled around the boy possessively, Lucius could not stop thinking the Dark Lord had severely underestimated the brat. The boy was much more Slytherin than possibly his own son. "Whether one accumulates wisdom and virtue slowly over the ages," he said calmly, "or whether one does it in one spontaneous act makes no difference. The Dark Lord keeps Nagini isolated because, yourself excluded, no one else can understand her. People fear her."

The little boy frowned; unhappy with the information his friend was feared. "That's stupid," he decided. "Mione says that allowing fear to dictate your actions makes you forget who you really are." Harry smiled down at the beautiful snake in his lap. "Nagini is a heroine," he decided firmly. "She hasn't lost herself to fear or darkness and is stronger than that Voldemort guy." Harry frowned, his voice turning fierce. "He better be nice to Nagini; it's not ok to hurt people just because you want them to obey. If he hurts her, I'm taking her home with me."

Gray eyes, so much like Draco's, stared at the child whispering reassurances to the snake. How could a boy, a child who claimed to have no knowledge of the Dark Lord and thought his parents had died in a car crash, shake the very foundations of Lucius' beliefs with one casually offered sentence? What would happen if Harry were to win this war and the Dark Lord fell? Malfoy's had relied upon their resilience and cunning for years. Falling from grace was not a viable option worth considering.

"Can I, Mr. Malfoy?"

Lucius snapped his head around, looking into bright green eyes as Harry smiled up at him. The boy was sprawled across the floor, stroking Nagini's belly, while the snake looked at his young master with an expression frighteningly similar to adoration. They were still ensconced in the Throne Room at Riddle Manor, awaiting the Dark Lord. Lost in thought, Lucius hadn't even been aware Harry was speaking to him. "I believe, Mr. Potter," he drawled out arrogantly in an attempt to save face, "proper grammar dictates the word 'may' in exchange of 'can.' Do try and speak coherently."

Harry blushed crimson, his bright smile fading slightly. Lucius assured himself he did not feel the slightest twinge of remorse over this. "Sorry, Mr. Malfoy," Harry muttered, looking down at his lap. Nagini butted her head soothingly against the boys arm. Harry took a deep breath, smiling gratefully at the snake before turning back to the blond. "Nagini and I are hungry. May I get us something to eat?"

He was suddenly inundated with a memory of his own son, his Draco, looking up at him with a hopeful expression after chastisement over behavior and etiquette. Why, oh why, did Harry have to look so very young and eager to please? This would have been so much easier had the boy been his proper age; roughened and brittle after continuous overexposure to the harsh realities of the world. That damnable emotion he was certain was not contrition whispered through him again. He smiled at the boy kindly, relieved when Harry brightened again and smiled back. Best to keep the boy happy, after all, until… well, best to keep him happy for now. "I will get you something to eat, Harry." He rose in one graceful motion, instinctively gripping his snake headed cane as he strode to the door. Pausing briefly, he looked over his shoulder as Harry scrambled off the floor and into an awaiting chair. "The door will be locked behind me. I won't be but a moment."