Hidden Wealth

On Saturday, Sebastian corralled Harry for a trip to Diagon Alley. Fleur had gone off with Arienne and Hermione somewhere – Harry didn't want to know where – and so it was just the two of them for the day. The goal was to get fitted for wedding robes, but Sebastian hinted that they might have one or two other things to buy.

He was truly lost when it came to preparing for a wedding that was only a week away. He knew very little in the first place, and on top of that, they had virtually no time left. Part of him felt like he'd wasted what little he had, but when he looked back, he realized that apart from that one date, he really hadn't stopped just to have fun.

And the date was a necessity given that he was marrying the girl!

But the fact remained that he was completely out of his depth, and was only just realizing that he hadn't done Fleur any favors. From what he'd seen, most girls wanted romance, and apart from that one date – which barely counted – he hadn't done a single thing. There were no elegant dinners to get to know her, no down-on-one-knee proposal, no gushing declarations of his undying love...

Really, she was getting shafted, and he didn't know what to do about it. In fact, he was increasingly of the opinion that there wasn't anything he could do about it. The problem was that, as much as he wanted her to have these things, he felt that having them be insincere would be worse than not having them at all.

"Do wizards ever renew their wedding vows?" he wondered as they wandered up the moderately-populated alley. "I mean, I know Muggles do, but is it different for Wizards?"

"I 'ave never 'eard of it being done before," said Sebastian thoughtfully. "Why do you ask?"

"Just thinking about the future," he said absently as he watched a hump-backed hag roll a rather large cauldron up the street. "This is really unfair to Fleur is all."

"I am not sure that I understand."

Harry shrugged and elaborated, feeling remarkably comfortable with the man, especially given that he was her father. "Well," he said slowly, "don't girls want all the stuff that goes with it? I mean, I never even proposed. Wouldn't she want that?"

"Ah," said Sebastian in sudden understanding. "And you were thinking of per'aps making it up to 'er?" he asked curiously.

"Something like that."

Sebastian chuckled good-naturedly and guided him up the stairs into the lobby of Gringotts. "And that is why I like you, 'Arry," he smiled. "Always thinking of others. And to answer your question, I think it is a wonderful idea. But do not feel too bad about it, you 'ave 'ad quite a lot occupying your time these past weeks."

"I'm not so sure that's a good enough excuse," grumbled Harry.

Sebastian just gave his shoulder a squeeze and steered him to the nearest counter. "You will make it work," he chuckled. "I 'ave faith in you, and I know that you will make my daughter a very 'appy woman."

"Key please."

Still wondering how Sebastian could have so much faith in him, Harry fished in his pocket, drew out his little golden key, and handed it to the goblin. The creature examined it for a moment before looking up and squinting at him. "Name?" he asked suspiciously.

"Harry Potter."

The goblin stared at him for a long moment, and then– "Wait here," he ordered.

Harry blinked.

"That was... unusual," frowned Sebastian as the goblin scurried off, leaving them standing alone in front of the counter.

Harry privately agreed. While the goblins were not exactly friendly with him, they weren't in the habit of making him wait either. Although he had noticed that they often kept other wizards waiting, now he thought about it. Had he been getting special treatment because he was famous? That thought had him scowling a little by the time the goblin returned a few minutes later.