Chapter 30

"All right, so let me get this straight

"All right, so let me get this straight." Steve says once Dustin has finished telling him the story of how he got Dart "you kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... who you just met?" Dustin, who is a few paces in front of us throws some meat on the floor "all right, that's grossly oversimplifying things." He argues.

I throw more meat on the ground, walking in some abandoned train tracks as Steve asks "I mean why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" I take some more meat out of the bucket. "An inter dimensional slug? Because it's awesome." I snort and throw the food on the floor aggressively "well even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't..." I speak up "I just feel like you're trying too hard." and Steve quickly agrees with me.

"Well, not everyone can look as good as you two do." Dustin says a little sadly "I don't have perfect hair." I nudge Steve and give him a look. "It's not about the hair man." Harrington reassures my younger brother "the key with the girls is just... just acting like you don't care." I shake my head at the stupidity of what he just said.

Dustin looks over at him "even if you do?" He asks and Steve nods his head confidently "yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts." I snort and take more meat from the bucket "yeah, and how is that working for you?" I ask "because I don't see any budding romances in your future." Steve looks over at me then, his expression softening "I think it's working just fine." I feel hotness creep onto my face and I break the eye contact.

"Then what?" Dustin presses as we make our slow walk to the junk yard. "You just wait until... until you feel it." Steve answers and Dustin comes back with an immediate reply "feel what?" Steve tilts his head "it's like before it's gonna storm, you know? You can't see it, like this, uh..." He can't think of the word so I say it for him "electricity."

Steve and I glance at each other for a moment "yeah electricity." He firms, Dustin adjusts his hat "oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere-" Steve shakes his head "no no no." He cuts my brother off "like a... like a sexual electricity. You feel that and then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin asks making my eyes widen and even Steve looks a little shocked as he replies "woah, woah. Slow down, Romeo. Sure ok, some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot and heavy, like a lion. But others you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a ninja."

I flick hair out of my face and regret not putting it up. "What type is Nancy?" Dustin asks and I look at the older boy, also curious about this answer "Nancy's different. She's different than the other girls." Dustin sighs looking down at the train track below us "yeah, she seems pretty special I guess. But this girl's special, too, you know. It's just, like, something about her."

I start laughing then, I don't mean to I just can't help myself "you're not falling in love with this girl are you?" I ask and Dustin goes red with embarrassment. "No." He says shaking his head "no, no." I stand up straight and continue walking "ok, good." Steve comes up beside me again. "Don't." He adds and Dustin looks away "I won't."