Chapter 60

I knock on the door of Steve's house and he opens it almost instantly, as though he was waiting on the other side

I knock on the door of Steve's house and he opens it almost instantly, as though he was waiting on the other side. I step inside and he takes my jacket "I can't believe you're parents invited me to dinner." I say as he hangs it up. Steve slips his hand into my own and leads me through his house "me too, but I guess they want to actually get to know you now they have realised you're gonna be around." 

I smile as we make it into the dining room. Steve's parents haven't made an effort to know me, often treating me with distain as they know my mum is a single mother. I'm not ashamed, my mum has done her best to raise me and Dustin even though we have never made it easy for her. We sit down at the table and awkwardly start to eat in silence.

I keep my eyes on my plate, unsure whether to start a conversation or not. We continue in silence until Steve's mum clears her throat and I finally look up. "So, what do you do Lorelei?" She asks, cutting her meat into tiny pieces. I look at Steve and he gives me a small nod of encouragement so I answer "I am uh, between things at the moment."

This seems to interest Steve's parents as his dad inquires "I could have sworn Steven said you were a grade below him, you should still be in high school." I swallow hard and nod my head, looking away from their leering gazes. "I uh, I dropped out." There is no point hiding the truth from them "but I am looking for work."

We watch as his parents share a look and Mr Harrington asks "what does your mother think about it?" I shrug, stabbing a piece of broccoli absently. "She just wants me to be happy." I answer, this seems to displease the Harrington's as Mrs Harrington makes a noice from the back of her throat. This is the final straw for me as I stand up suddenly, the chair screeches across the wooden floor.

"Excuse me" I mutter before making my way from the room. I exit through the front door and sit on the porch, looking at my hands in my lap. In the distance I hear Steve arguing with his parents but the words are a blur. No matter what I do, someone always thinks lesser of me. I tried to save those kids from the Academy and I get arrested, Steve's parents disapprove of me because I dropped out of high school and don't have a job yet.

They don't understand that things take time. No one understands. The front door suddenly opens, Steve sits down next to me. "Ignore my parents." He says "they have unrealistic expectations of everyone." I sigh and shake my head, keeping my eyes down. "They are just thinking what everyone else in the town is." I tell him, my voice low "in a failure, a waste." Steve throws an arm around my shoulder and pulls me into him.

"You're not a failure, you've done more in your life time then anyone could imagine. Ignore my parents." He repeats, i close my eyes and he kisses my temple.

-

When I get home that night, Dustin is sitting on the couch reading a science magazine under the light of a lamp. "Hey." I say un way of greeting and Dustin nods his head briefly, keeping his eyes on the magazine in his lap. I go to the kitchen and pour myself a glass of orange juice before putting the carton back.

As I shut the door of the fridge, Dustin is revealed behind it making me jump. "Jesus Dust, a little warning next time." I say clutching my chest. My brother doesn't say anything but narrows his eyes, I look at him strangely "what?" I ask. "Somethings wrong." He answers, I sigh and move over to the counter to grab my glass. "Nothing is wrong Dust." I reply.

He doesn't let it go however and follows me back into the living room. "I know you Lori, something is wrong." At the sound of that sentence i whirl around and angrily reply "No you don't Dustin, there is nothing wrong. Get off my damn back." I grab my car keys before heading out, not giving him a chance to answer.

Outside it is raining heavily but that doesn't deter me. I climb into my car and race down the empty roads. I shouldn't be going as fast as I am, if I wasn't virtually indestructible I guess I would slow down.

I arrive at my destination and walk over to the grave. 'Jim Hopper' the gravestone reads. I sit down and bring my legs up to my chest "I've messed up." I say quietly, my voice breaking "I don't know how to live a normal life, I feel so on edge all the time. I feel like I don't belong." I pause for a moment even though he can't reply.

"I wish you were here to tell me what to do." I continue, tears streaming down my face. I rest my head on my knees and stare at the grave, as though if I stare for long enough Hopper will rise from the grave. I've never wanted another power more than right now.