Chapter 33

We break through the trees and onto the main road just in time to hear Nancy and Jonathan say "Steve?" we stop at the top of the hill and look down at them for a moment

We break through the trees and onto the main road just in time to hear Nancy and Jonathan say "Steve?" we stop at the top of the hill and look down at them for a moment. I am relieved to see my best friend for the first time in a few days, those few days being crazy. "Nancy?" Steve asks as  we start down the hill, a smile breaks out on my face "Johnny." I launch myself at my friend and he wraps one arm around my waist and the other cupping the back of my head.

I clutch onto his jacket tightly for a few moments before stepping back, both of us smiling shyly at one another. "What are you doing here?" Nancy asks us as the others slowly make their way down, "what are you doing here?" Steve counters. As everyone comes together Nancy replies "we're looking for Mike and Will." I step back, next to Steve who passes me the torch I accidentally dropped when we came into the clearing.

"They're not in there, are they?" Dustin asks nervously, Nancy looks over at Jonathan "we're not sure." She answers. Jonathan's eyes flick between me and Steve as we stand a little too close together "why?" He asks perfectly times to be answered by the roaring of the demogorgans inside the Lab. We all turn to look at the dark building, emergency lights flickering on and off in some windows.

My heart rate quickens and I grab onto Steve's arm, who looks just as nervous.

-

Everyone starts talking at once, trying to catch each other up as well as figure out what to do about the building full of monsters. I then notice a change in the Lab and step through the group of people "guys the power is back on." I manage to break through all of the noise. Everyone falls silent as we watch the lights flicker on level by level.

Then we make for the Security booth next to Jonathan's car. Jonathan  races inside before the rest of us have a chance and starts violently pressing the button that is supposed to open the front gate. When nothing happens my brother joins him in the booth and says "let me try. Let me try Jonathan!" He presses the button with the same result.

I am standing next to Steve who pants slightly "this is very awkward." He muses rocking back and forth on his heels. I nod "yep." I agree "all that build up, for the gate to still not work." He lets out a breathy laugh and swings his bat so it lands on his shoulder. "No." He says "I meant. It's awkward." He repeats his earlier statement and leans forward slightly, looking over at Nancy who is staring at the gate impatiently. It suddenly clicks and I snort "you still have feelings for her?" I ask, my voice lowered.

Steve drags his eyes over to me, his expression softening slightly "uh, no. No I don't think I do." I feel my face going red and I look away.

The gate opens and we climb in the car. "Alright." Jonathan says "lets go." and we drive all the way through and towards the Lab.

-

Steve and I are left looking after the kids while Jonathan and Nancy drive up to the Lab. I am pacing nervously when Max starts walking towards the gate "guys?" She says cutting through the tense silence and then two cars come speeding round the corner and towards us.

The second car stops beside us revealing Jim Hopper, who waves us inside "lets go." He orders and we all climb into his car. Before racing off, away from the lab.

On the drive I lean forward, between the two front seats. "How you doing kid?" Hopper asks and I shrug nonchalantly "you know, could be worse." I say lightly. That makes Hopper laugh and he shakes his head "I guess your right."

I smile just as Steve turns his head to look at me and he reaches over and takes something out of my hair "leaf." He says before throwing it out of the window. My face starts going red again and I sit back. Dustin starts making silent teases and I kick him in the shin. "Ow!" He says rubbing his leg and wincing slightly, I roll my eyes and lean against the side of the truck "shush, it didn't even hurt."